The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fine pink Cheverny

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Delaille 2017 Domaine du Salvard Cheverny Rosé ($17.99)

Pretty, rather light copper color. Very pleasant and surprisingly complex for a rosé: Red berries and a distinct hint of lime on the nose. On the palate it's bright and tart, bone-dry with fresh acidity. Light, appealing red-berry flavors add notes of melon, shifting subtly into an intriguing stony minerality that lasts into a very long, shimmering finish. Really an excellent rosé from the Loire Valley, a blend of 65 percent Pinot Noir and 35 percent Gamay in a modest 12% alcohol. U.S. importer: Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant, Berkeley, Calif. (July 3, 2018)

FOOD MATCH: Fine sipped by itself, and excellent with cheeses – ours was fine with thin slices of Parmigiano-Reggiano. It would also work very nicely with milder, white fish and less sweet seafood.

WHEN TO DRINK: Young is best with most rosé, including this one. Drink up over the next year or two and then look for a more recent vintage.

VALUE:
Now that rosé is finally taking its place among wines that justify a double-digit price tag, this fine bottle is well worth Wine-Searcher.com's $17 average retail and my $17.99 local price.

WEB LINK
Importer Kermit Lynch is known for his detailed, informative fact sheets. Here's the page for Delaille's wines, including this rosé.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Check prices and compare vendors for Domaine du Salvard Cheverny Rosé on Wine-Searcher.com.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Fine pink fizz

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Nice. I'm sure that's a fun wine for casual summer drinking.

But two questions.

1. Why the mention of fizz?

Robin Garr wrote:Now that rosé is finally taking its place among wines that justify a double-digit price tag...

2. Are you really still buying single-digit price tag wines?! In 2018 I'm afraid to do that even in France!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Rahsaan wrote:1. Why the mention of fizz?

Because I carelessly conflated it with a fizzy pink I had earlier in the month. :oops: I'll edit that.

2. Are you really still buying single-digit price tag wines?! In 2018 I'm afraid to do that even in France!

No, not really. I was getting at rosé moving into higher reaches that (most bottles) used to command.