The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Catching up on wine notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Catching up on wine notes

by JC (NC) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:49 pm

I have finally mustard some time to catsup with wines I have relished--or not.
2015 DOMAINE MAURICE CHARLEUX & FILS MARANGES, VIELLES VIGNES, Burgundy, France.. 13 % abv. Dark fruit. Hint of sassafras? Approachable now. I can't say if it would be better in three to five years or not. I may cellar one bottle for 2-3 years. More mellow on the second day. Worth buying again at around $25.00.

2010 BODEGAS OLARRA RIOJA CERRO ANON RESERVA, Spain. 14% abv. Bottle label recommends drinking now through 2022. I was not particularly impressed with this Tempranillo. It was okay but not a repeat purchase. I have one bottle remaining.

2007 WILLIAMS SELYEM PINOT NOIR WEIR VINEYARD, YORKVILLE HIGHLANDS, MENDOCINO COUNTY, CA. 14.3% abv. Purple color; semi=opaque. The nose and flavor tilt toward dark fruits, particularly black plums. This is quite fragrant and pleasing on the palate. It seems quite fresh considering this is eleven years after harvest of the grapes. The wine shows some savory notes. It does have some heat from the alcohol content.

2008 MERRY EDWARDS PINOT NOIR SONOMA COAST, CA. 13.9% abv. Plum, cola and a bit of savory something. This has some texture but hints of ripeness and extraction. I've backed off ordering from the mailing list but still have a number of bottles to consume, including some recently discovered 2006's which may be past their drinking window.

2009 MERRY EDWARDS PINOT NOIR FLAX VINEYARD, RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY, CA. Methode a l'Ancienne. 14.4% abv. Dark purple color. Suggestion of crushed berries and boysenberry on the palate. The bottle had been refrigerated and needed some time for the nose to emit a fragrance black cherry, Chinese spice and cinnamon. The high alcohol content was somewhat noticeable. Slightly chewy texture. On the third evening it has evolved to a more harmonious wine with some depth in the layers.

2013 TALBOTT CHARDONNAY SLEEPY HOLLOW VINEYARD, SANTA LUCIA HIGHLANDS, MONTEREY COUNTY, CA. ESTATE GROWN. Rich gold color. Lanolin on the nose with apple and nutmeg-like spice. This wine sees more oak than a couple of the other Talbott Chardonnays and that is apparent in the way it presents. However, it is not buttery but the apple and spice is buttressed by background oak. A firm streak of mineral runs through the wine also. Well made although I usually prefer the Talbott chardonnay bottlings that go lighter on the oak--the Logan and the Kali Hart.

2014 LaRUE PINOT NOIR RICE-SPIVAK VINEYARD, SONOMA COAST, CA. 12.9% abv. Aged for 20 months in French oak, 33% new. Purple-crimson color; opaque. Flavor of tart cherries. Enticing on the palate, this invites continued sipping. This improved with air and was even more lovely the second evening. The initial impression of tart cherries transforms to a more ripe cherry flavor. Tasting notes on the winery website also mention cranberry, raspberry, cinnamon, lavendar and violets but I am not picking up on all of these elements. I recommend not finishing it off in one evening as I thought it improved over the next three days. I have been a fan of Katy Wilson's winemaking and I am not alone as she is getting very good reviews from "Pinot File" and Vinous and Jon Bonne in the San Francisco "Chronicle." I will bring one of her Pinots to MO"COOL so some of you who have never had a LaRue wine can try one.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: Catching up on wine notes

by Jim Grow » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 am

Hi Jane, I was also not impressed with the Bodegas Olarra, just so-so. Glad to hear that you will be at MoCool this year. I figured a Pinot theme would get you there. Luci will be very glad to chat with you and me too. She is bringing a Joseph Roty 2010. Are you familiar with this Burgundy producer?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Catching up on wine notes

by JC (NC) » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:29 am

Somewhat familiar. I think that producer has a good reputation. I look forward to seeing both you and Lucy.