The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What would you do?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Re: What would you do?

by Dave Erickson » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:40 am

Everybody makes mistakes at the register. Everybody. That said, any retailer who doesn't use barcodes is an idiot. Any retailer who relies on cashiers to know the value of everything in inventory is an idiot.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:43 am

Redwinger wrote: The clerk has to look it up in the computer. Well, the clerk grabbed the first Lafite listed and charged the customer ~$350.

Seems to me that if the clerks do not know that different Lafite vintages have different prices, then either they need training or the fine wine department should be closed when there only unskilled staff are present.
no avatar
User

JoeArmano

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:35 am

Salem, NH

by JoeArmano » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 am

Stealing is undoubtedly wrong.

If it was an honest mistake (which it obviously wasn't since the guy was casing the joint) and the guy comes in again (which he definitely won't since it was a scam) I would inform him of the error. Since the error was for a rather LARGE sum of money I am sure any customer would feel guilty and obligated to do the right thing. I mean, everybody loves to get a good deal now and again, but a deal that large is taking advantage of the whole situation.

I agree with the guys that, if you ask the clerk if the price is correct and they agree, then merry christmas and happy birthday. I feel that it is (this is a term I am inventing) a concious clearing event! It is on them to inform you of the mistake the next time around (if they even notice the mistake).

In both cases, if the store owner/clerk/whoever should inform you of the error then you must do the right thing and pay the correct price.

Ciao,
Joe A.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:21 am

Call me a paranoid, but rereading original post, it's hard to see IF (and I repeat if) this was a scam, how clerk wasn't in on it. I mean the guy cases the place for two days, scuffs price label, but wht are the chances the non-wine-guy is going to not match to vintage? I sometimes shop at 2 places where register clerks are not wine folks at all, but they are meticulous re matching details on any wine that doesn't ring up with a barcode. Seems to me this guy went to a lot of trouble to just hope he got lucky with an ignorant clerk.
Previous