The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Q: Are Riedel's glass creations out of control?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Q: Are Riedel's glass creations out of control?

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:45 pm

So now we have a new glass, specially designed for Oregon Pinot Noir. :roll:

"After two years of research, comparative tastings, and evaluation of prototype glasses, Oregon winemakers and Georg Riedel have arrived at a new shape of wine glass designed especially for Oregon Pinot noir. "
Click here for source story

What will be next?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Q: Are Riedel's glass creations out of control?

by John Tomasso » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:00 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
What will be next?

Washington?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:01 pm

I demand a Carneros Merlot wine glass! And, a special Dry Creek Zinfandel glass.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:59 pm

Surely every vineyard and every type of wine need their own glass to really bring out the best. :wink:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:11 pm

After Oregon and Washington, I would like to round out my collection with an Idaho glass. And no, I don't want it to be shaped like a potato.

Although.......
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:40 pm

I thought the Riedel water glass was the step too far personally
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I thought the Riedel water glass was the step too far personally

Oh, then you hadn't heard of the new line of Riedel?

There's the Evian water glass, the Pellegrino water glass, the Badoit water glass, the New York tapwater glass and the Tijuana tap water glass (that one comes with a free packet of chlorine with each stem). Extensions to the line are expected soon.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:19 pm

Are there too many Riedel glasses? Maybe, but in this case, it looks as if the Oregon Pinot producers wanted another one. Riedel is just supplying what the market asked for. There's nothing wrong with that. It looks like a good promotion for Oregon Pinot Noir too. I certainly don't own every shape, but I buy the ones that suit my favorite wines and I do like the constant reevaluation and evolution of the shapes. BUT, that said, you're not likely to find Riedel WATER GLASSES at my house!

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:22 pm

Damn! I just went out and purchased 10 of every glass in the Sommlier series. I guess I'm going to have to expand my stemware wall.

rwj
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:50 pm

In Germany, it's not unusual for beers to have their own customized logo glasses. I'm looking for the Mondavi "Coastal" Merlot by Riedel stem next.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:12 pm

I think it’s just a big gimmick. Isn’t it true that at most wine judging and competitions an ISO standard wine tasting glass is used? One would think a glass with similar dimensions would make a good every-day wine glass. Basically when looking for stemware I look for a bowl that is approximately 4 inches tall, 2 ½ inches at its widest diameter, and 2 inches across the rim.

Salute
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:25 pm

The other night I served water from my toilet in a Riedel water glass. My guests thought that it was the best water they had ever tasted!

rwj
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Victorwine wrote:I think it’s just a big gimmick. Isn’t it true that at most wine judging and competitions an ISO standard wine tasting glass is used? One would think a glass with similar dimensions would make a good every-day wine glass. Basically when looking for stemware I look for a bowl that is approximately 4 inches tall, 2 ½ inches at its widest diameter, and 2 inches across the rim.

Salute

well, not really. I've seen the ISO, but I've also seen Schott-Zwiesel and Riedel being used at some of the majors. Part of that may be the eagerness of Schott-Zwiesel, Riedel and others to get their glasses involved in the competitions though.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 pm

I went to a tasting recently, albeit sponsored by Riedel, that was very cool. We tasted four old world wines: Bordeaux, Burgundy, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay (all French). Each wine was tasted in its proper Riedel glass. We then tasted the same wine in a standard 'Joker' glass. The differences were profound. The aromas and flavors clearly came through in the Riedel glasses and were weak or non-existent in the other glass.

Do I think that one needs every glass in the collection? No, I do not think so. Many glasses are similar in style and hold many different wines well. I have settled on the four we got at the tasting from the Vinum series (yes, we got to take the glasses home). The glasses I have are the Burgundy (Pinot Noir), Bordeaux (Cab, Merlot, Syrah, etc.), Sauv Blanc, and Montrachet (chardonnay). This should do it for me when I have a good wine. For my everyday drinking I have some simple stemless glasses that work fine.

rwj
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:57 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:So now we have a new glass, specially designed for Oregon Pinot Noir. :roll:

"After two years of research, comparative tastings, and evaluation of prototype glasses, Oregon winemakers and Georg Riedel have arrived at a new shape of wine glass designed especially for Oregon Pinot noir. "
Click here for source story

What will be next?

I want them to help me get the most out of my next paper bag full of MD 20/20. :twisted:

Hey, as long as they continue to find people willing to be parted from their money, they're going to continue with these gimmicks.

I'm sure that Oregon Pinot Noir tastes better out of these glasses than it would out of a coffee mug or a mason jar. But is it that much better than an INAO tasting glass, or one of your standard (even Riedel's standard) burgundy/pinot noir tasting glass, to justify the extra cost? I seriously doubt it.

-Paul W.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:08 pm

We certainly need a Dry Creek Zinfandel glass. Do you think a gallon capacity would suffice?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:41 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:We certainly need a Dry Creek Zinfandel glass. Do you think a gallon capacity would suffice?

My God, John. I imagine your liver glows in the dark green! :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:53 am

Victorwine wrote:I think it’s just a big gimmick. Isn’t it true that at most wine judging and competitions an ISO standard wine tasting glass is used? One would think a glass with similar dimensions would make a good every-day wine glass. Basically when looking for stemware I look for a bowl that is approximately 4 inches tall, 2 ½ inches at its widest diameter, and 2 inches across the rim.

Salute

I own both ISO/INAO glasses and Riedel and Schott-Zwiesel glasses. The ISO glass are used in tastings not because they show the wines to best advantage but because they are a standardized size and shape and don't do a bad job of giving some impression of the wine. However, if you taste an ISO side by side with a larger Riedel glass, the chances are very good that you'll get a lot more out of the Riedel glass. That is not to say, though, that one should buy into the marketing hype of Georg Riedel et al. The idea that there can be a specific shape that best suits each variety I find laughable, actually.

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:14 am

They had this for the Niagara Icewines glass as well. I think the one I saw had the inniskillin logo on it. This has been around for a few years to Riedel has been doing this for at least that long. I agree with you...it's a bit over the top, especially the water glasses.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:39 am

I suspect that at least half the push behind this kind of super-specific glass comes from the producers of the wine type, maybe most of it.

I applaud Riedel for bringing the fact that glasses make a difference to how wine tastes to our attention, whatever marketing excesses may occur.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:32 am

Now if they could just figure out how to make lead free crystal then they might be going somewhere useful.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:46 am

The future has to be in control software that detects the aromatics and taste profile of a wine, which then automatically adjusts the shape of the glass to the aromatics whilst simultaneously ensuring that the taste is distributed optimally over the tongue. Damn - that wouldn't work either because individuals have different noses, tongues and preferences too, so there would have to be a degree of personal customisation. Might also be a bit disconcerting as the glass changes shape over the course of the evening, or as the wine warms in your hand. (Add your own smiley to taste.)

More seriously, I think the aromatic profile would be the most important factor in determining a good glass shape, and that can vary tremendously within a variety or region, or indeed with a particular wine as it ages. And what would one drink Claret out of?
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:53 am

Salute

Two wine shows in New Zealand (Royal Easter Wine Show and the Air New Zealand Wine Show) and at least one in Australia (the National Wine Show) use the Riedel Magnum Overture glass. As a lowly steward at the Easter Wine Show, I got to taste a lot of wines using this glass, and it performed very well, particularly for the reds. The judges liked them as well. But they still break if you drop them on a concrete floor. :-) I didn't drop one, but saw someone else do it.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

JoeArmano

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:35 am

Salem, NH

by JoeArmano » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:46 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Are there too many Riedel glasses? Maybe, but in this case, it looks as if the Oregon Pinot producers wanted another one. Riedel is just supplying what the market asked for. There's nothing wrong with that. It looks like a good promotion for Oregon Pinot Noir too. I certainly don't own every shape, but I buy the ones that suit my favorite wines and I do like the constant reevaluation and evolution of the shapes. BUT, that said, you're not likely to find Riedel WATER GLASSES at my house!

Prost!
Bill

Bill, I hope you are kidding... WATER GLASSES??? Holy cow! That is uncalled for. But, maybe I am just an regular water drinking and not a serious drinker. Any WATER Enthusiasts out there?

Ciao,
Joe A.
Next