The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 Bordeaux plus a few MoCool wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: 3 Bordeaux plus a few MoCool wines

by Jim Grow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 pm

At MoCool this past week-end I opened 2 nice Bordeaux; a 2000 Smith Haut Lafitte and 2000 Pavie Decesse. Both were showing at near peak with the Pavie a bit more complex and dense than the SHF. Wonderful complex wines with some sweaty saddle leather, tobacco and mellow red fruit. This is exactly why one should cellar nice wine. Also tasted a 1978 Lafaurie-Peyraguey from the Thur. nite before that was still intense if a slight bit oxidized, having been open and mostly consumed 24 hrs. earlier. The Pinot's all seemed a bit similar but the Cal. Pinot first opened by Jane, ???? was very spicey. At that point I couldn't tell one Pinot from another except hers. None of the other Pinots I tasted had any of the non-fruit earthy/mushroomy/woodsey intense notes I so love. I also tasted a NV Bollenger on Fri. nite that was exceptional and a Rudd ???? Cabernet Res. (IIRC) that was very special but there were many on that table that were mind-boggling. Tonight I opened a 2009 Ch. Bard-Haut Bordeaux that was finally starting to mellow out. Some herb and sour cherry flavors but needs another 5-10 years for the secondary flavors to kick in. MoCool is the perfect venue for a short course in GREAT wine. BTW my heart cath. went very well 3 days latter (unrelated to MoCool I think) so all is good.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 3 Bordeaux plus a few MoCool wines

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Glad you are OK!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 pm

Thank you. It is very good to be O.K. Now I can go off to the U.P. canoeing and fishing with a clear feeling of well-being.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:10 pm

What David said..so glad you are rocking that fishing pole and wine again!

JB