The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Ste. Michelle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: Chateau Ste. Michelle

by Ryan M » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:13 am

A friend who is from here originally but now lives in the Seattle area brought these to share. I had not had any of Chateau Ste. Michelle's upper tier wines before, so this was a treat.

Chateau Ste. Michelle, Gewurztraminer, Oak Oval, Yakima Valley 2016
Pale silvery yellow with a hint of green. Extraordinary nose, very deep, with pear and lots of rich, dense stone fruit, petrol, white flowers, lots of mineral, and potent peppercorn notes (so potent you can feel them in your nose and throat). On the palate, rich d’Anjou pear, potent, fleshy plum and nectarine, generous honey notes, salty mineral, and and an array of potent peppercorn notes, all with citrus / orange rind notes. Intensely full bodied, bone dry, rich and fleshy in texture, and incredibly long. Absolutely extraordinary, the best Gewurztraminer I have ever had. Wow! 10 to maybe 20 years ahead. Less than 294 cases produced. 4.5 Stars [7/21/18]

Chateau Ste. Michelle, Meritage, Columbia Valley 2011
Great color, warm, nearly opaque ruby. Outstanding nose, black cherry, blackberry, cassis, mint, savory tomato paste, with lots of leather, tobacco, and excellent, gravelly, chocolatey earth, pungent but fresh, deep and dense. On the palate, a compote of blackberry, blueberry, and blackcherry upfront, followed by cassis, plum, savory plum tomato, Cab Franc style herbaceous notes, with lots of cured tobacco, chocolatey earth, and lots of dense mineral. Full bodied, with a sweet, very savory dense texture, with excellent, fresh acid balance. Outstanding. 10 years ahead. 72% Cab Sauv, 25% Merlot, 2% Cab Franc, 1% Malbec. 4 Stars [7/21/18]

Dr. Loosen & Chateau Ste. Michelle, Eroica, Riesling Ice Wine, Horse Heaven Hills 2014
Nice color, light glistenny, golden yellow. Excellent nose, honey and white flowers and orchard fruits, with lots of petrol, citrus oil, and some botrytis style cinnamon and mace. Similar notes on the palate, very sweet, but with with citrusy, steely acidity, loads of wonderful fresh honey notes, and lots of white pepper. Medium-full with a lingering, spicy finish, and a nice viscous texture. Exceptional; excellent quality. 10 years ahead. 3.5 Stars [7/21/18]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Chateau Ste. Michelle

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 am

Huh. I had no idea they made a Gewürztraminer.

Their Rieslings are well made. Very correct. They bore me to death.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:15 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Huh. I had no idea they made a Gewürztraminer.

Their Rieslings are well made. Very correct. They bore me to death.

They make a standard Gewurz that should be widely available, but this was a tasting room / club members wine, which you nonetheless try to get your hands on if possible (maybe talk Jenise into shipping you some).

I confess that I've had very few WA Rieslings that really impressed me. This Eroica Icewine was definitely the best one I've had. WA Gewurz on the other hand, I haven't had one that I didn't enjoy thoroughly.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Ryan M wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I confess that I've had very few WA Rieslings that really impressed me. This Eroica Icewine was definitely the best one I've had. WA Gewurz on the other hand, I haven't had one that I didn't enjoy thoroughly.

Although neither are in wide distribution, look for Analemma or Savage Grace.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:16 am

I had a bottle of 2006 Chateau Ste. Michelle Ethos Late Harvest Riesling last year that was absolutely killer! That Gewurtz sounds amazing, I'll have to try and hunt one down.

Thank you for sharing your notes.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm

kasey.dubler wrote:Thank you for sharing your notes.

My pleasure!
Galileo Galilei