The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Skyyyyyyyyy Pilot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Skyyyyyyyyy Pilot

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 am

2012 Rhys Syrah Skyline Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/7/2018)
First thing is that I really need to wear my glasses when picking out wine. I saw Skyline, and thought I was grabbing a Pinot Noir. Nope, Syrah.

OK, let's have at it. Deep reddish purple color leads into a brooding, rich aromatic of meat, black fruit, herbs, tar, leather and tapenade and probably ten more things that are lurking around the edges. On the palate it needed thirty minutes or so to pull itself together, but after that the fireworks went off. The initial palate impression was soft and rich, but the tannins dug in from the middle and did not let go. The weight was only medium or a bit more, which was a pleasing surprise based on the aromatics. I was expecting something heavier, but the wine stayed nimble and fresh. The meat and olive tones fleshed out over the three hours I followed the wine, supplementing the black/blueberry fruit.

Given the mid-weight level of the wine it made a more adaptable food partner than I was expecting (when I thought I was grabbing a Pinot Noir). Overall it further cemented my impression that Rhys is at their best with Syrah.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Skyyyyyyyyy Pilot

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 am

Nice. Did you realize mistake before opening?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Skyyyyyyyyy Pilot

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:33 am

Nope. Didn't put on my glasses until I sniffed the cork and thought...that's not Pinot!
Decisions are made by those who show up