The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

L.A. Times article on the Columbia Gorge AVA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

L.A. Times article on the Columbia Gorge AVA

by Jenise » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Good article, and I can attest to what he says about Analemma's sparkler--I've never before tasted a domestic sparkler that could be mistaken for real champagne. He also mentions a winery called Idiot's Grace, and they're one of my favorites. The Cab Franc he mentions? I recently bought six bottles. It's truly Loire-like. The third winery I've not in fact heard of, but will check them out next time I'm down there. The Gorge is full of wind, it's a stunningly beautiful place to visit even if one weren't interested in wine. And it's awesome for camping, if anyone's into that.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-fo-dr-columbia-gorge-wines-20180804-story.html
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: L.A. Times article on the Columbia Gorge AVA

by Peter May » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 am

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries

So I looked at the Idiots Grace website. Gosh, looks a beautiful place and interesting wines.

and quote from http://www.oregonwinepress.com/fools-gold-idiots-grace
There was no desire to make Pomerol or Alsatians. We wanted more vintage variation and lower alcohol. I was sick of 15-degree wines. And I wanted out of the rain, but not a desert.”
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: L.A. Times article on the Columbia Gorge AVA

by Jenise » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 am

It IS gorgeous there Peter. And one thing the article mentioned--about the range of wines within the AVA? It goes from cool and perfect for chardonnay and pinot noir to hot and great for Rhone and Italian varieties--in about 20 miles. It changes THAT fast. And the sad part is that most Washingtonians, at least up here in my neck of the woods, don't even know it's there. I mean, they know there's a Gorge and maybe they've even driven through it once, but few seem to have ever made it a destination. Where I just love it--there's so much to see and appreciation there.

For instance, at the east end, high above the river, there's a mansion full of Rodans and other amazing art, and a winery called Maryhill. Mary Hill was the wife of Sam Hill, a wealthy east coast industrialist, who built this to be their marital home and anchor a Utopian society in which there would be no more war. It was his move to this site that created the famous question, one my own father started many a sentence with, that goes "Where in the Sam Hill....?"
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov