The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: What we do for wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: What we do for wine

by Jenise » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:08 pm

So last week I bought a bottle of the 2016 Olivier Leflaive 'les Setilles' at Costco. It's the first '16 white burg I've had--and the vintage is so small, it may be the only--and it's as good as I remember the '14 being. 90% of the fruit is Puligny and Meursault, but the flavor delivers a lot closer to pure Puligny. White orchard fruit, meyer lemon, and that distinctive chalky earthy minerality that makes Puligny my favorite chardonnay of any on the planet. I swooned over every drop, and woke up the next morning re-arranging my day around a trip to Costco to secure all remaining bottles. A baby version of the most exquisite flavor in the world (to me) for the price ($18) of a daily drinker? Back up the truck. Costco, here we come.

Argh, there were only two left.

So I had the store manager check for the availability of more for reordering--scratch that!--or more close by. There are plenty of Costcos within 80 miles of me--Burlington, Smokey Point, Snohomish and Everett--but the closest one with this wine, and just 17 bottles at that, was all the way down in Woodinville. After that, it would be Gig Harbor and then Bend, Oregon, who still had five cases. So when I got home I called Woodinville and asked if they would set all 17 aside for me--maybe not as much as I would have bought but why go all that way and leave anything behind. I totally expected them to tell me "we're not set up for that" which is painfully obviously the case, but since I'm driving 100 miles to their store for this one thing, maybe I'd get a Very Nice Person on the other end of the phone who'd want to give me the ironclad guarantee that what I came for would be there. And I did. She said all I had to do was see a manager.

When I arrived the next morning I had a bit of an issue finding a manager let alone someone who cared, and when I did I found out that my Very Nice Person hadn't left the wine in either the obvious place or any even remotely second-most obvious place, nor had she left anyone a note to document her actions, but finally a manager who looks like my friend Kathryn Warner confirmed that the wine still showed in their inventory and had definitely been removed from the display, which I knew because it was the first thing I checked when I got there. So it was definitely in the store--but where? "Since I was told to ask for a manager when I got here," I said, trying not to sound too dumbfounded by the confusion, "I was thinking it would probably go into the admin offices up near the cash registers. You know, where the managers are." "YOU'D THINK," replied not-Kathryn.

So an APB then went out to available persons to start searching the store. The stores are so huge, it's mind-numbing to contemplate where something might be if it's not where it should be. "This might take a few hours," not-Kathryn said apologetically. "Fine, I've got all day," I lied cheerfully.

Now every Costco I've ever been in has a long lane of 20 or so cash registers of which most, but usually not all except on holidays when traffic is doubled or tripled, will be open at any one time. Left to right, left being closer to the entrance, they tend to open the left registers last--most likely to route all traffic past the snack bar which is further right. And there's usually a cluster of carts down there in that left area to prevent people sneaking through and they're usually full of stuff that looks like it's been returned and is awaiting someone to put them back into inventory. An hour or so had passed when me and not-Kathryn reunited for a status report and happened to look in that direction and almost in unison said, "you don't suppose...."

And there it was. Amid the jackets, shop mats and Kitchen Aid mixers, buried in a cart under a bunch of empty Duracell battery boxes, was my wine plus a very well used power drill and a broken Vitamix. It's pretty close to a total fluke that we found it.

So happiness reigns in my cellar again. Anyone going to Gig Harbor soon? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

Re: WTN: What we do for wine

by kasey.dubler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 pm

I love this wine, and it's one of the few values left in Bourgogne! I poured it by the glass for a while... I'll have to see if I can find a few bottles, haven't had it in year, glad to hear it's still good
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Bravo for the tenacity. And for learning the ins and outs of the operation. Always funny when you know the situation better than the staff (who often could care less).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 am

kasey.dubler wrote:I love this wine, and it's one of the few values left in Bourgogne! I poured it by the glass for a while... I'll have to see if I can find a few bottles, haven't had it in year, glad to hear it's still good

Our tastes are so similar! Such a shame that you moved away before we could share more bottles together.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:44 pm

discovered Les setilles..or rather a friend of ours did, at a local charity wine tasting a number of years ago, and she came running to me and her husband while Joel and I were tasting a very nice Seghesio Sangiovese..and breathlessly said " ya gotta taste this white wine!! And we did, and Les Setilles became an annual buy for us..Better yet, it is readily available locally..and the Seghesio sangio is not so readily available locally..(I tag on to a friend's Seghesio wine club buying when I want some)
Jon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Hurray, another fan!