The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hodge Podge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Hodge Podge

by Jenise » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm

2012 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Kanzler Vineyard Sonoma Coast
Jammy red fruit with a spice that's closer to RAID ant killer than anything I'd put in a pie. I believe this is that funky stage pinots can go through--it's actually asleep, but instead of being flavorless it just shows bad flavors. It should wake up in about two years. And if that's not the case, then it's dead and either way hold for 2020 because it's not pleasant to drink now.

2014 Domaine Laurent Cognard Montagny 1er Cru Les Bassets Chardonnay
Apple, pear, lemon--the usuals--but with unusual notes of Douglas fir, which I presume comes from oak. Still good for $25 and '14 white burgundy off the shelf last week at our local Food Coop. Good acidity and balance, should cellar to 2022 or beyond.

2014 Badet Clement & Co Chardonnay Révélation Vin de Pays d'Oc

Cellar orphan inherited from a big event two years ago. Big wine but not quite the Mae West it used to be--the massive oak remains noticeable but is more integrated and the fruit's calmed down. Plenty of structure for continued cellaring if you can take the oak.

2010 Maison Arnoux & Fils Vacqueyras Jean-Marie Arnoux Red Rhone Blend
Brett city; fed it to the rhododendrons.

2013 Darby Syrah Aunt Lee Columbia Valley
Leads with a persistent, puckering citric acid flavor that mutes the essential syrah notes to the last drop in the bottle. Very disappointed. Damn Paul.

2003 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain
Superb fruit and definition. Dark fruits, mint and sandalwood spice. Drinks more like a wine 7-8 years old than 15, and there's no vintage sap or flab here. Should make it to 2030 easily.

2005 Dunham Cellars Syrah Frenchtown Vineyard Columbia Valley
Opened and impatiently gave it up for dead, then returned to the remainders later. Almost completely missed the boat--needed three full hours to open up, but showed well eventually with that light Frenchtown spice and bright (natural) acidity.

2007 Château de Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône Les Deux Albion Red Rhone Blend
From magnum--took to the opening of a new BBQ restaurant wherein I know the chef-owner who has a son named Rhone. Figured I couldn't lose bringing this, even if they're not open to BYO yet. I was right--Gabe came right to our table for a badly-needed glass and I poured for the staff. Anyway, the wine: concerns that the wine would be fat and gobby owing to the Californicated vintage were groundless. Shows the classic blackberry fruit from LDA but includes black cherry, spice and tons of white pepper. Drinks beautifully right now.

2015 Two Vintners Lola Walla Walla Valley Syrah Blend, Syrah
Two Vintners is a fairly new winery to me and every bottle I've had has been stellar on flavor, texture and balance. Not normally a cab-syr blend fan (why mute what's great about either?), but this one works. Has that great Rocks funk in the background with the sturdy blackberry pie fruit of WA cabernet, all presented with TV's signature elegance. If the community price is accurate (this wasn't my bottle), this is a steal for under $30.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: Hodge Podge

by John S » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Two Vintners is a favourite of mine too. Everything I’ve tried has been well made and the prices are excellent. They used to make a Grenache Blanche that was excellent, I think they still make it...
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:34 am

As far as I can tell from my reading, Montagny is the only Bourgogne AOC whose vineyards are all Premier Cru (the village wines are basically declassified versions of the same vineyards, since the minimum requirement for Premier Cru is 11.5% ABV, which implies that everything qualifies these days and the final decision is up to the winemaker).

Did I get that right? And who boinked who to get that sweet deal into the law books?
Last edited by ChaimShraga on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:15 am

Jenise wrote:2007 Château de Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône Les Deux Albion Red Rhone Blend
From magnum--took to the opening of a new BBQ restaurant wherein I know the chef-owner who has a son named Rhone. Figured I couldn't lose bringing this, even if they're not open to BYO yet. I was right--Gabe came right to our table for a badly-needed glass and I poured for the staff. Anyway, the wine: concerns that the wine would be fat and gobby owing to the Californicated vintage were groundless. Shows the classic blackberry fruit from LDA but includes black cherry, spice and tons of white pepper. Drinks beautifully right now.

I've liked every 2007 Southern Rhone I've had. I know it's very atypical and derided by many AWFEs, but I haven't encountered any particularly spoofy ones.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)