The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: a couple of nice reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: a couple of nice reds

by Jim Grow » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:28 pm

2014 Ryan Cochrane Pinot Noir, Santa Maria Valley , Soloman Hills Cal. : excellent complex P.N. with equal part of wild cherry, eucalyptus and saddle leather on both the nose and palate. Light ruby in color with 13.3% abv glad I have more.
gritty/grainy sediment, kinda reminded me of Ancien P.N. from the mid-80's.(Reminds me that low abv wines can be wonderful)

2004 Dom. Font de Michelle, Cuvee Etienne Gonnet, Chateauneuf de Pape; consumed with St Louis style ribs and great sweet corn tonight and a great match it was. The nose first reminded me (in a muted way) of the 1989 Beaucastel I went thru 6 bottles of many years ago with very fond memories. That herbal/barnyardy sort of thing (not Brett) was there but blew off quickly joined by sour cherry and very mellow tannins. Still enough tannins to offer good balance for another decade at least but very enjoyable now. The nose is still full or herb as I smell it now but less so on the palate abv of 14.5% I am now picking up a slight meatiness on the finish. Life is good now with an anti-platlet drug that does NOT cause shortness of breath (Plavix).