The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Italian values

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: Italian values

by Ryan M » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:19 am

This is very belated, as I realized I never posted these notes here. I was asked to do an end of the year wine tasting for our honors program students. I chose Italians, because we have a campus in Florence where students can spend a semester, which is very popular with the honors program students. I wanted these to be wines that represent the range of Italy, are easily found in stores and restaurants, and that would actually be affordable for students. It was a huge success, and even before the tasting was over the students were asking what we will do next year (the answer is France, stay tuned).

Carpene Malvolti, 1868 Extra Dry, Prosecco Superiore, Conegliano-Valdobbiadene NV
$14. Pear, lemon curd, land lots of mineral. Full bodied, with a wonderful, creamy texture. 3.5 Stars [5/5/18]

Bollini, Pinot Grigio, Trentino 2015
$11. Pear, lemon, honey, mineral, and a touch of hint of sweet grass. Full bodied, with a wonderful, honeyed texture. 3 Stars [5/5/18]

Masciarelli, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo 2015
$9. Black cherry, plum, cola, mineral, and a bit of white pepper. Full bodied, with a wonderful, succulent texture. A lot more structure than one expects from a modestly priced Montepulciano; perhaps the best Montepulciano I’ve had, and a smashing value. 3 Stars [5/5/18]

Pico Maccario, Lavignone, Barbera d’Asti 2016
$11. Black cherry, black berry, and raspberry, with black pepper, and mineral. Full bodied with spicy texture, and lots of tannin. Fairly serious structure and acid tone. Impressive, especially for the relatively modest price. Should age nicely for another 5 years or so. 3 Stars [5/5/18]

San Felice, Chianti Classico 2015
$13. Black cherry, blackberry, plum, orange rind, tabacco leaf, earthy herbs, and black pepper, all with notes of violets. Medium-full bodied, with excellent succulent/savory texture. 2.5 Stars [5/5/18]

Castello Monaci, Piluna, Primitivo, Salento 2016
$11. Blackberry reduction, raspberry, meaty currants, a hint of sweet raisin, orange rind, a touch of tobacco leaf, and mineral. Full bodied, with very nice sweet/succulent texture. 3 Stars [5/5/18]

Santi, Solane, Ripasso, Valpolicella Classico Superiore 2015
$12. Blackberry, a hint of blueberry, currant, tarry mineral, chocolate, and a hint of raisin. Intense body with succulent texture and great acid tone. 3.5 Stars [5/5/18]

Scagliola, Primo Bacio, Moscato d’Asti 2016
$12. Candied pear and honey, with some good mineral depth. Medium bodied, sweet and frothy. Not as good as Moscato d’Asti can be, but delightfully frivolous in that way that only Moscato d’Asti is. 2 Stars. [5/5/18]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Italian values

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:43 pm

I did a small exploration of Italian values (under $20) last winter, and intend to do the same this fall. There are a ton of delicious and cheap Italian wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up