The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: a few 2015 Bordeaux reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: a few 2015 Bordeaux reds

by Ryan M » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:36 am

A compilation of notes from the last six months. Having bought more 2010 Bordeaux than any single vintage of any single region in my cellar, I had decided to perhaps shift focus for a while, and when the hype machine started up for the 2015/16 pair, I thought to myself "there will be more great vintages, and there are so many older ones still on the market, I think I'm just going to pass." And then I tasted these 2015s . . . . and I was immediately taken by the quality and character of the vintage. To me, it somehow combines rich yet incredibly elegant fruit with a more classical structure, and I am particularly taken by the abundant minerality of the wines. They strike me as something like a riper but more elegant version of 2005, plus that remarkable minerality.

Chateau Les Cruzelles, Lalande de Pomerol 2015
Very nice color, pure, warm, medium ruby. Excellent nose of sweet cassis and fresh red plum, with a hint of mint, cured tobacco leaf, cedar, spice, bittersweet chocolate and sweet earth, and loads of fine mineral; sweet fragrant fruit, with nice depth. On the palate, loads of rich, succulent, juicy black currant, a touch of fresh tart blackberry, and some red plum, before some green tobacco leaf / succulent herbs, some wood, pepper, bittersweet chocolate, and sweet earth, with loads of fine, dense mineral, and big, puckery tannin; that lovely, sweet fruit lingers on the finish. Very full bodied, with a fleshy, succulent texture, fresh, racy acidity, and also driven by its minerality and spice. In style, similar to 2005 Bordeaux but with a more elegant and somewhat modern style of fruit. Given the excellent acidity and the masses of tannin, I’d say this has a solid 5 - 10 years ahead, and I wouldn’t be surprised to find it alive and well in 15. A lovely but powerful wine, so compellingly good! 3.5 Stars [2/26/18]

Les Chartrons, Bordeaux 2015
Lovely nose, savory, with dark, sweet, earthy fruit, notes cedar and tobacco (the Cab Franc coming through prominently), a touch of dried roses, and mineral. Similar notes on the palate, with black raspberry and currants, spice, and lots of fine mineral. Sweet, elegant fruit, with a succulent texture, and good acid support; an impressive amount of tannin hides very deceptively behind the fruit. Seems the 2015 vintage has a lot to offer even at this modest level. Excellent. Drink now or in the next 3 years. 2.5 Stars [4/1/18]

Chateau Bel-Air Laclotte, Bordeaux 2015
Medium-dark ruby/garnet. Excellent nose of black cherry, blackberry, and cassis, with herbaceous tobacco lead, cedar, and chocolatey earth. Similar notes on the palate, but with lots of tart red raspberry, peppery spice, fine mineral, and loads of chalky, drying tannin. Sweet, silky fruit but with lots of tart acidity and astringent tannin; has a remarkable combination of approachable fruit and classical structure; silky but spicy texture. Lovely. Has the structure for 3 to 5 more years. 2.5 Stars [4/6/18]

Chateau de Bon Ami, Bordeaux 2015
Medium ruby. Very nice nose of dark meaty fruit, wood, and earthy depth. On the palate, meaty currant and dried blackberry, with cured tobacco / cigar box, and loads of fine earthy mineral and spicy tannin. Succulent and ripe, but juicy and pleasantly tart. 5 years ahead. 3 Stars [5/16/18]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: a few 2015 Bordeaux reds

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:10 am

Can't speak to any of those wines in particular, but a comment: you say 'riper' than 2005. Did you mean that? 2005 was pretty ripe and in my own mind I can't imagine riper being better. Btw, haven't had a single '15 yet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: a few 2015 Bordeaux reds

by Ryan M » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Can't speak to any of those wines in particular, but a comment: you say 'riper' than 2005. Did you mean that? 2005 was pretty ripe and in my own mind I can't imagine riper being better. Btw, haven't had a single '15 yet.

Reviewing old posts, somehow I missed this, sorry!

It could be that the ripeness level is similar, but that 2015 is more fruit forward, though in a very elegant and attractive way.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)