The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: Asimov on "Dry" American Rieslings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: Asimov on "Dry" American Rieslings

by TomHill » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Interesting article by Eric in today's NYTimes:
"Dry" Rieslings
in which he ponders the meaning of "dry" in American Rieslings.

Supposedly, the threshold of tasting r.s. in white wines is about 0.5 gm/100ml (0.5%). I tend to prefer my Rieslings on the dry side, unless I know it's something like a Spatlese or Auslese and know to anticipate some r.s,, which dictates how I use that wine. I always find it frustrating when I buy a Calif R that is labeled "dry Riesling" and find that it has a noticible amount of r.s. The Tatomer R has a whopping .77% of r.s. The Alsatian wine industry has pretty near killed my interest in their R (and GWT) by so often leaving too much r.s. in their (along w/ a low acidity and high alcohol). Pretty much Germany and Austria are the last refuges for those of us searching for dry R.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: NYTimes: Asimov on "Dry" American Rieslings

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Some Oz wines too, look for the Elderton and Pewsey Vale.!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Some Oz wines too, look for the Elderton and Pewsey Vale.!

Yup, Bob...forgot to mention the Oz Rieslings, which I like quite a bit.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:18 pm

there is hope on the horizon (heh, heh) 8)
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:there is hope on the horizon (heh, heh) 8)

Eeeeeenteeereeesteeng (says Rieslingfan).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 am

The lack of sweetness/dryness indications on labels has been a recurrent subject of my rants, particularly with Riesling and Chenin. However you should not give up on Alsace, Tom, because it is one of the main producing regions where some producers are trying to provide help, albeit inconsistently from one producer to another.

A body called something like the International Riesling Foundation proposed a scale some years ago but nobody, at least in Europe, seems to use it. This proposal seemed to me to address well the issue of sugar/acid balance which affects subjective impressions. It beats me why there is such reluctance on the part of producers to tackle this problem which is driving so many consumers away because of uncertainty about what they will find in the bottle.
Tim York
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Not To Worry...

by TomHill » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:52 am

Tim York wrote:The lack of sweetness/dryness indications on labels has been a recurrent subject of my rants, particularly with Riesling and Chenin. However you should not give up on Alsace, Tom, because it is one of the main producing regions where some producers are trying to provide help, albeit inconsistently from one producer to another.

A body called something like the International Riesling Foundation proposed a scale some years ago but nobody, at least in Europe, seems to use it. This proposal seemed to me to address well the issue of sugar/acid balance which affects subjective impressions. It beats me why there is such reluctance on the part of producers to tackle this problem which is driving so many consumers away because of uncertainty about what they will find in the bottle.

Not to worry, Tim. Not gonna give up on Alsace. It's just I got to pick & choose more carefully.
Back in the old day ('70's), most of them were bone-dry/austere/acid. I had a rule of thumb that the higher the acidity
so that they were painful to drink when young, those are the ones I'd buy because they would age into
something great. Z-H and their infection of Alsace pretty much ruined that idea.
Tom
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm coming back to this thread, because I am sitting here sipping the '16 Hermann Wiemer Dry Riesling (Seneca Lake AVA) and it is a fantastic wine. And it is off-dry. Yeah, it would be nice to have some indication of the RS on these wines, but its not a big issue to me as long as the acid is there to give a basically dry impression. Asimov likes the Argetsinger Riesling from Ravines, and I do too. But Ravines is one of the Finger Lakes producers that makes uncompromisingly dry Rieslings, and for some people, they may be a bit too austere. The acid-sugar balance on the Wiemer wine is spot on (IMO), and I guess I would call it "dry enough". Maybe this would be a Feinherb wine if it were German.

In Germany I found some of trocken Rieslings from the wrong vintages or an awkward point in the aging curve to be like sipping battery acid (I think this is less of a problem now than when the Germans first started to get enthusiastic about dry wines). The same could be said for some of the Aussie Rieslings.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Thought I would bring this thread up as I am just opening a 2013 Fox Run Dry Riesling. Stay tuned!