The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

September Wine Focus: The South of France!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: September Wine Focus: The South of France!

by Tim York » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:15 am

I'm a bit surprised that this topic has not generated a lot of interest other than from me and Bob. Even without straying into the Sud-Ouest, French Mediterranean and Rhône wines show enormous variety and arguably contain some of the world's greats. Languedoc and Roussillon are particularly exciting areas with a lot of adventurous growers less constrained by AOP rules than in regions with an older quality tradition, such as Bordeaux and Burgundy. Here is an example of that from Languedoc-

2013 Domaine d'Aupilhac Vin de Pays du Mont Baudile Le Carignan - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Vin de Pays du Mont Baudile (9/27/2018)
Aupilhac is one of my favourite Languedoc estates and this is one of its most original and interesting wines though not necessarily the best. It is made exclusively from Carignan, a once decried grape but now increasingly appreciated, and therefore does not enjoy AOP status. It is medium/full bodied and darkly coloured showing a well developed nose, lively round fruit with a bramble touch, good depth, hints of tar and rubber (but less than in most Carignan dominated wine), fresh acidity and a porty note on the firm finish which did not cloy due to the balancing acidity. The back label claims that it is good for 10+ years ageing and I believe it. Very good.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
Previous