The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: EdmundsStJohn Rocks&Gravel '09...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: EdmundsStJohn Rocks&Gravel '09...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Needed a red last night, so cracked:
1. EdmundsStJohn Rocks&Gravel DryCreekVlly (UntiVnyd; Frmtd in concrete vats; 50% Syrah/42% Grenache/8% Mourv; 13.8%) Skin of Our Teeth/Alameda 2009: Med.dark color w/ no bricking; strong pencilly/cedary strong strawberry/blackberry/Grenache slight Rhonish/smoked meats some complex very attractive nose; lightly tart rather strawberry/blackberry/Grenache light pencilly/cedary/Rhonish/roasted balanced/smooth flavor w/ light smooth/gentle tannins; very long light pencilly/cedary rather strawberry/Grenache/blackberry/slight raspberry light Rhonish/smokex meats bit complex finish w/ light gentle tannins; probably near or beyond its peak; a very pretty/attractive Rhone blend.
1. This was made in concrete vats at the RockwallWnry. I wanted to like this wine a lot more than I did. It seemed fully mature, but just seemed to sort of plod across the palate, didn't have the pizazz that I was hoping for.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: EdmundsStJohn Rocks&Gravel '09...(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:31 pm

first time working with the Unti grapes, Tom. Levi Glenn was the vineyard manager that year. He made a point of telling me that the Grenache was never ripe before the end of September. I told him I was going to make a point of checking in on it during the first third of September. He called me on the 6th or 7th, and said "boy didi I screw up! I don't know how it happened, but the Grenache is already at 24 Brix!" So we started in a hole, and had to dig out. I think the wine got better each year after that, especially after Levi left to become vineyard manager at Tablas Creek! :lol:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:01 pm

I had a bottle of this not long ago, and was much happier with it than Tom.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:12 pm

I think the starting point of over-ripe Syrah and Grenache resulted in the "plodding" in Tom's comment; it was an observation with which I pretty much concur. It's interesting that the tasting notes themselves seem mostly quite positive. The disconnect, I have to assume, comes from having also tasted wines that displayed more of what he expected and didn't find in the bottle under discussion.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:33 am

Probably because a "plodding" ESJ is still more lively than most CA wines of the type.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well....

by TomHill » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:10 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:I think the starting point of over-ripe Syrah and Grenache resulted in the "plodding" in Tom's comment; it was an observation with which I pretty much concur. It's interesting that the tasting notes themselves seem mostly quite positive. The disconnect, I have to assume, comes from having also tasted wines that displayed more of what he expected and didn't find in the bottle under discussion.

Well., Steve/David.....the wine was good wine and very pleasurable to drink. It's just that I was expecting a whole lot more from
it. Many of the R&G have developed into terrific wines. This had not. It was just merely "good"...which sometimes
is good enough.
Tom
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Heck, a wine that "runs and skips realy fast" across the palate, you might miss something.

Salute
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 pm

In the interest of science, I opened the 2009 and 2010 Rocks & Gravel tonight. The 2009 is very good, but does come across as having a dominant bass note. The 2010 is brighter, fresher, and generally more fun. I would never turn down a glass of the 2009. I would always take a glass of the 2010 if offered the choice.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup..

by TomHill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:In the interest of science, I opened the 2009 and 2010 Rocks & Gravel tonight. The 2009 is very good, but does come across as having a dominant bass note. The 2010 is brighter, fresher, and generally more fun. I would never turn down a glass of the 2009. I would always take a glass of the 2010 if offered the choice.

Yup, David. Wouldn’t turn down a glass of the ‘09 either. But it just didn’t have the brightness and zip I was expecting.
Tom