The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sixteen Candles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Sixteen Candles

by Jenise » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:29 pm

Yesterday, Bob and I celebrated the 16th anniversary of closing escrow on this home and invited friends over to share a few exceptional bottles.

With a hot, baked spread of Dungeness crab, artichokes and parmesan cheese on crostini, followed by a romaine salad with walnuts and lemon-walnut oil vinaigrette we had:

2017 Syncline Picpoul Blanc Boushey Vineyard Yakima Valley
Outstanding! Lush but not plush with gorgeous fruit and acidity: galia melon, meyer lemon and white nectarine. Similar to Southern French picpouls in flavor, but more elegant.

With a main course of grilled Jack Mountain pork chops on parmesan-butter rice and fried sage leaves, we had:

2004 Boudreaux Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Columbia Valley
Very very good, just not as good (rich, lush, earthy) as last year's bottle. Less fruit, acid more prominent. Peak's over, drink up.

2003 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Washington
Decanted for two hours. Appropriate color for age. Tasted better than it smelled--the fruit and acidity were complex, lush and balanced. However the alcohol was noticeable and the nose was all wrong: mildly swampy with more cabbage than fruit. (Cork, etc., were all fine.) So much for 100 Parker points.

1997 Woodward Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon Dedication Series Columbia Valley
An extraordinary wine. Youthful, dense purple with no bricking at the rim. Complex nose of blackberry, cassis, root beer and herbs, silky mouthfeel but still has some tannins and much more life ahead. WOTN.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Sixteen Candles

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:15 pm

I gave up on Quilceda after the 2004 vintage. 2002-2004 were completely undrinkable.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:24 pm

I was surprised I have this. No idea how/when I purchased it but I was obviously attracted to the vintage, being the year we moved here--me now wouldn't have bought anything from that vintage. Per CT I bought it from "Gateway". Who dat? :shock:

Still, clearly a flawed bottle. I wonder if QC would replace it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Ah, let the record show: Quilceda Creek is sending me a replacement bottle (from a later, cooler vintage, about which I'm happy). They were very kind about it. Unlike Bevan.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:01 pm

I doubt I would remember the date we closed on our house, except that it was September 12th, 2001. We only put 5% down, so I suppose we shouldn't have been worried, but the huge drop in the market and the after-effects of that day really made us question whether it was a good decision.

Never had a Quilceda Creek, I suppose I should seek out a Coravin place just to try the Washington State benchmark.
Walter Nissen