The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Yoga Matt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Yoga Matt

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 am

2014 Matthiasson Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/9/2018)
Grilled lamb chops & sautéed mushrooms calls for Cabernet Sauvignon. I should have gone with something older, but this was at hand. Overall it showed well, but needed an hour to open up and be more than just a pillar of fruit and tannin. When it did unfurl there was still plenty of fruit, more red than black, and complementing notes of licorice, cedar and gravelly soil. It's only medium bodied (so quite light for a Napa Cabernet), and complemented rather than overshadowed the food. The fruit/tannin balance is good, so this should be able to develop over the next several years. It's also very well priced at $55.

Side note - if you ever want to feel completely inadequate about how you care for the little piece of land you call your home, then listen to Steve Matthiasson speak about sustainability. I heard a podcast with him the other day while I was doing some yard work, and felt like I had it all wrong.
Decisions are made by those who show up