The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: If at first you don't succeed....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: If at first you don't succeed....

by Jenise » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Practicing for our trip to Spain:

2004 Ontañón Rioja Arteso Tempranillo Blend, Tempranillo
Modern with no character. Dumped it on the azaleas and then opened:

2004 Fernando Remírez de Ganuza Rioja Tempranillo Blend, Tempranillo
Earthy and rustic with plummy black fruits and some iron-rich minerality. Very dry; doesn't show well without food. Decanting recommended.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: If at first you don't succeed....

by John S » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 pm

I assume you are going to Rioja, and if so I'd highly recommend having dinner at least once in Logrono - there's a street full of restaurants serving tapas and pouring wine. it's a fun and tasty experience. We stayed in in Logrono to be able to walk to this area, but Haro is the town where many top wineries are. I assume you've booked a tour at Lopez de Heredia, it's well worth a visit. Muga is right beside it and doesn't require an appointment.

The scenery around the Rioja area is very pretty, and there are some small towns that are charming, if sometimes overrun by tourists (but you'll be out of tourist season probably). Have a great time!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:36 pm

John, thanks for the recco on Logrono. I didn't know about it, to be honest. We've got two nights booked in Haro, one night inside an ancient building 8 room hotel-restaurant within the midievel walled old town Laguardia, and have two nights open for "whatever else" before we're due in Barcelona. I'll def add Logrono to our list. Yes, re LdH.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Calla del Laurel is the name of the street and nearby Calle de San Juan also has mixture of pincho/tapas restaurants, often with each place having a speciality or even only serving one dish; there are also 'normal' restaurants if you want to go that route. But wandering around Calla del Laurel around 9 pm and checking out 5-7 different places, as well of course as people watching, is quite fun. It's in the old town of Logrono.

Laguardia is definitely a nice little place to stay, and there are some good producers between Haro and Laguardia to stop at along the way...

Here one little article about Logrono that might be helpful - https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/the-rioja-region-of-logrono.