The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Château Pontet Canet & 2015 Black Ankle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2003 Château Pontet Canet & 2015 Black Ankle

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Believe it or not, this was really good, and pretty much ripe vintage, classic Bordeaux. It was not a 2003 caricature. I would never suspect it as California, as it leaned more towards the cassis end of the fruit spectrum, and it had that dusty/cedary element coming through that I never taste in modern California wine. The fruit/tannin balance was very good, and there was zero heat. It was delicious with my steak! Seems to have years left in the tank. I am glad to have several more bottles.

Alongside, I opened a bottle of 2015 Black Ankle Vineyards Crumbling Rock (Frederick, Maryland), a Bordeaux blend. It was also really good, and not in a "good for Maryland wine" sense, but in an objective sense. I went back and forth between the PC and the Black Ankle, and the Black Ankle never suffered. It had less depth/richness than the Pontet Canet, but it was an enjoyable wine to drink that did a great job of showing the quality of Bordeaux grapes in the Eastern USA. I think it was the best Eastern USA red wine I have ever had, and I have had a lot of them.

I corked up both and put them in the fridge to try again tonight.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2003 Château Pontet Canet & 2015 Black Ankle

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:05 am

Maryland..darn good write up.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 pm

I remember the 2003 PC as having all of the positive qualities of 2003 and none of the weaknesses, modern Bordeaux done about as right as it could be. I thinking maybe this year might be time to try out one of my 2000s.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 am

I am probably going to dig up a 2000 this winter.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:11 am

PC was just about the only 03 I bought. The vintage scared me, but I like PC so much I bought a few just for 'science'. Glad I did, thanks for the note.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov