The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Two Chardonnay Questions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Two Chardonnay Questions

by Jim Grow » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:06 pm

1.....As a lover of big,bold Chardonnays with lots of tropical fruit, minerality, herbs and acidity to provide balance, what other producers should I be on the look-out for. My house favorite right now is LaFollette Sangiacomo (great minerality) but have had and loved Chalk Hill Sonoma Coast, Beringer Res., of course Rombauer and then my all-time favorite...Newton Unfiltered with at least 10 years of age. They are not necessarily high in abv but often come in above 14.5%. which is A-O.K. too. Less than 30$ would be a plus also. Anyone else out there enjoy this style (out of fashion now) and who else produces a Chard. like these?

2....My most-adored chardonnay was produced by Domain de la Bongrand (Thevenet) in Macon. Last vintage I could find was the 1994, I think, but is totally unavailable in my area. I think I bought that in D.C. back in the day. It was so memorable because, although fermented dry, Thevenet used some botrytised grapes which gave it a fabulous texture and flavor profile. Why does no one else on the planet attempt a Chardonnay like this? Sure it may not work every year as Botrytis is a fickle mold needing just the right conditions but when available it can turn an average Chardonnay into an elixir-supreme without resorting to a dessert wine style. just pondering some thoughts while I recover from a head/chest cold.