The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lopez Zind Jadot Pavie Jaboulet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Lopez Zind Jadot Pavie Jaboulet

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Notes from a blind lunch tasting

1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
– love these old style white Riojas! Medium golden colour signaled age, Some initial sulfur blew off and left a slightly oxidative nose of ripe fruits and apricotty sweetness. Good length. Very nice.

2000 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Brand – a wine slightly darker than the last with a nose of honey and spice with some marmalade overtones. Finished dry.

2002 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Couchereaux – pale wine with a pleasant floral based nose, cherry with hint of earthiness, developing some spice with time. In the mouth it presented significant acidity, and soft tannin with medium length.

2000 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia – another light coloured red with a nose of mellow berry fruit and a bit of wet stone. In the mouth it was well resolved with pleasant fruit undertones. It had browning edges and developed a bit of nuttiness in the nose with time. I would not hold this one long.

1990 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904 – (if you are wondering about all the Spanish content, it was because a couple of members are off to Spain this week). Darkest Rioja, with a pronounced dilly American oak nose, up front sweetness in the mouth and some dried cherry fruit and nutmeg creeping into the nose with time. Good acidity, good length and good to go – now on plateau.

1991 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle – my wine, which I had bought a case of back on release at $30 Can. And have been looking at every few years since. It has now reached prime drinking! Excellent slightly tarry dark fruit nose with some earthy meat and black currant elements. In the mouth, fully resolved with sweet fruit and finely calculated balancing acidity, with definite mint coming in. Killer wine that I am only sorry to have drunk half of the case before now! I recall the wine newbies that were basing their vintage buying on Bordeaux vintages passing this one by as the vintage in Bordeaux was horrid. Learning curve, I guess. I have had several wines from this vintage that I like as well or better than the 1990 vintage of the same wine.

1999 Ch. Pavie – this St. Emilion was showing a slightly ripe smoky nose, slight greenness, and on palate still has tannins but also a ripeness. Not a long haul wine. Tough vintage but better here, on the right bank.

2013 Piedrasassi Santa Barbara County Syrah – I am unfamiliar with this Lompoc winery (and their oddball bottles). Obviously a hot climate wine with a ripeness and black olive thing happening, sweeter in the nose than in the mouth and medium long with lingering finish. Much better than I expected when sampling the nose.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: Lopez Zind Jadot Pavie Jaboulet

by Jim Grow » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:26 pm

I have a few of those Pavie and will open one next year at MoCool. The only one I have tried yet a few years ago I thought was fabulous but too young.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:00 pm

As much as I love the LdH Reservas, I went very light in 2000.

The 2005 is very fine in case you see it around.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am

David M. Bueker wrote:As much as I love the LdH Reservas, I went very light in 2000.

The 2005 is very fine in case you see it around.

Yes, and we had it on our trip. A few days later, we tasted the 06 at the winery which didn't come close.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Jim Grow wrote:I have a few of those Pavie and will open one next year at MoCool. The only one I have tried yet a few years ago I thought was fabulous but too young.

I liked it a lot, thought it had a very effusive, sensuous nose. And I respectfully disagree with Bill--at 19 years old, that wine is already in the long haul. And the fruit still had primary notes to it--I wouldn't hesitate to hold it for another ten.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov