The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rocky Road

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Rocky Road

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:39 pm

2010 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel - USA, California (9/15/2018)
This is beginning to enter a good drinking phase. The youthful grapiness has faded, yet it still has some bright red fruit. There is the beginning of herbal and earthy complexity, with good acidic structure. The finish has an intriguing roundness, that brings expansive flavors that are focused by a refreshing red fruit element that keeps the whole package lively.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Rocky Road

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 pm

tasted the '11 last night; beefier than I remembered, and, from the 43% Syrah, smoky as all get-out.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Will dig one up soon!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Opened a '10 tonight; not so dissimilar from the '11. Maybe a bit lighter, a little more complex and earthy in the middle, not quite so muscular. There was no Mourvedre in '11, because it never ripened sufficiently to make red wine. It is likely the source of the red-fruit character you mention in your note about the '10, David.

In hindsight, I believe I dismissed the '10 and '11 from much consideration after they were bottled, because I felt I hadn't quite found what I was after with these grapes. They have both turned out to be pretty nice wines, anyway, thank goodness.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:21 am

Steve..do you have an agent in W Canada? Thanks in anticipation.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well...

by TomHill » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:Opened a '10 tonight; not so dissimilar from the '11. Maybe a bit lighter, a little more complex and earthy in the middle, not quite so muscular. There was no Mourvedre in '11, because it never ripened sufficiently to make red wine. It is likely the source of the red-fruit character you mention in your note about the '10, David.

In hindsight, I believe I dismissed the '10 and '11 from much consideration after they were bottled, because I felt I hadn't quite found what I was after with these grapes. They have both turned out to be pretty nice wines, anyway, thank goodness.

Well, Steve....sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts!!! :lol:
Tom