The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly 80s Medoc at Sutton Inn

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Mostly 80s Medoc at Sutton Inn

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Ian was visiting from London and Ramon organized a group to celebrate his visit. Jim and JC arranged dinner at Sutton Inn, an improvised tasting menu by ordering 4 orders of various mains for the 8 os us- worked great, and restaurant did a good job.

We started with the 2006 Phillponnat La Leon Blanc de Noirs. Full, ripe but balanced, citrus zest and pit fruits, pretty sure I wouldn’t have guessed 100% PN but enjoyed. B+

With heirloom tomato salad with a corn milk sauce and tapioca puffs

2004 Laville Haut-Brion Blanc
Really tight at first, but deep. I wrote down B+/B but revisited later and it was a different beast, delicious,heading toward excellent.

2005 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc
Oak, thick, a little hot. C+/B-

Really nice charcuterie plate, I surprised myself by especially loving the mortadella

1982 Figeac
Jim who brought was worried, and at first there was a kind of pruney note, but it transformed into something that seemed more representative of that Figeac CF-ishness. Herby, leafy, red fruits, earth. B+/B

1982 Lafon Rochet

A bit workman like, ok but without any 82 glamor. B-

1982 Leoville Barton
Corked, alas.

Gnocchi, I thought it was to have a mushroom sauce, but more tomato (or sun dried tomato). Hard match, but the wines pulled through

1985 Leoville las Cases
Divisive wine, some really liked , I thought somewhat sturdy/blocky. Might have been better with a steak. B

1985 Rausan Segla
Lovely, elegant,red fruits and sandalwood. I’ve always thought 86 RS was highpoint of the chateau, followed by the 83, but this is maybe my new fave. A-

1985 Gruaud Larose
Most wines were doubledecanted in advance, this was opened by JC as a backup (not sure for what!). Took a while to open up, but classic brawny/earthy GL with some tobacco notes. B+

My favorite course of the night, duck breast with a orange/ginger sauce/puree (deconstructed duck l’orange someone said- but a better red match)

1983 Ch. Marguax
Big brooding beast, sure will be fantastic, not a load of fun right now. B

1983 Chateau Rauzan Segla,

A bit reticent compared to other bottles I’ve had, but still lovely with power and grace. B+/A-

1983 Leoville Poyferre
(cork broke and fell in during double decant, so in a Juge bottle)
Brawny for LP, cassis and gunflint, needs time. B/B+ for now

1983 Pichon Lalande
Cassis and black raspberry, green tobacco leaf, balanced and long, A-

Dry aged steak, snap peas, excellent potatoes

1986 Ducru-Beaucaillou

Corked

1986 Gruaud Larose
I always love this wine, but an especially giving bottle. POwerful, complex, dark fruits with earth and cigarbox, just a hint of Cordier funk. A-/A

1986 Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou,
Corked.

Some had baked Alaska

1988 Climens
Usual orange marmalade/zest, good color, but shorter than other bottles I’ve had. B-/B

1988 Ch. D’Yquem (375)
Deep, long., classic. A-/B+

Really fun night.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: Mostly 80s Medoc at Sutton Inn

by Jim Grow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Good to see the 86 Gruaud Larose still preforming well. I still have a few from a case. 20 bucks back in the day!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Mostly 80s Medoc at Sutton Inn

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:51 pm

That ‘83 Margaux is a bit worrisome. A 35 year old wine that needs time.
Decisions are made by those who show up