The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Doogie Häuser

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Doogie Häuser

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 pm

1998 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Nahe (9/15/2018)
Twenty years from the vintage, and this is a study in stone. There’s still some light peach fruit, and a hint of lemon zest with subtle lingering sweetness. The real feature is all about rocks. Wet rocks, warm rocks from a fire ring and salt-coated rocks from the seashore. You want terroir? Drink this wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Doogie Häuser

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:38 pm

This sounds great. I never really took to the OL kabinett, but I'm sure I would have loved this wine.

However, if I'm being pedantic, what makes you say this is more of a terroir wine than any other (Donnhoff)? The rocks? Surely a wine doesn't need to show that character to be a wine of terroir.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:25 pm

I am not saying it’s more of a terroir wine than other Dönnhoff wines, but just that it is one. The Leistenberg is often written off as barely more than the Estate Riesling.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I am not saying it’s more of a terroir wine than other Dönnhoff wines, but just that it is one. The Leistenberg is often written off as barely more than the Estate Riesling.

Fair enough. I always found it more distinctive than the Estate Riesling, I just didn't necessarily love the distinctiveness that it showed. But with German riesling there are so many amazing options, it's hard to find the time to keep trying and to better understand something you are not immediately drawn to.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Let’s be honest, I have had more opportunities to explore the distinctiveness of the various Dönnhoff bottlings than anyone other than Helmut, Cornelius and Terry Theise.

OK, that’s hyperbole, but given the depths of the Dönnhoff collection at Schloss Bueker, I do see more facets of the wines than most consumers.