The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Signs of autumn: Hugh Johnson's 2019 wine book

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Signs of autumn: Hugh Johnson's 2019 wine book

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:43 pm

It seems earlier than ever this year, but sure enough, my new copy of Hugh Johnson’s Pocket Wine Book 2019 arrived this morning, thicker than ever but still pocket-size (assuming a sturdy pocket).

The back flyleaf says Hugh published his first edition in 1977, and I'm pretty sure I've been getting it - an updating it most years - since 1978, so you could say I really have been following it from the very start. Or almost.

If you'd like to order it from Amazon.com, it's $11.72 in hardcover (a 31 percent discount) at this link:
https://amzn.to/2OzaSD9

You can also get it as a Kindle ebook for $8.99, but I have to disclose that I tried the Kindle version one year and wasn't excited about it.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: Signs of autumn: Hugh Johnson's 2019 wine book

by John S » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:04 am

I haven't seen one of these for a while, but they were extremely useful when I was starting out on my wine discovery. It really was incredible how much information was packed into this little (back then) book. It was like a tiny wine dictionary that I could read over and over to learn more about and remember different countries, regions, varieties, and producers. It was quite helpful in helping me decide what to buy (and not buy) when everything seemed new and exciting to me (now I'm older and jaded I guess?!). This was in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

I would highly recommend this book, especially to those who are beginning or only moderately along their own 'wine journey'.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Signs of autumn: Hugh Johnson's 2019 wine book

by Tim York » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:27 am

Do we know whether Hugh Johnson still plays an active part in the compilation of this guide? He must be about the same age as me and seems to have handed over the World Atlas of Wine to Jancis R.

I once met him at a party, probably in the 60s. I didn't know much about him then. The party was more memorable for a remark made by my architect brother-in-law to a rather pompous officer of the Grenadier Guards. "So you are in the army? That's the unemployable leading the out of work."

Johnson has also written beautifully presented books on trees and gardens.
Tim York