The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Aunt Gemina Syrup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Aunt Gemina Syrup

by TomHill » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 am

Inspired by David's TN on the '17, I cracked last night:
1. Massican gemina Calif WW (69% PinotGrigio/31% Greco; 12.8%) DanPetroski/Calistoga 2015: Med.dark gold color, darker than I expected; quite fragrant/perfumed floral/carnations/spicy/cardamon light stony/mineral/savory slight perfumed talc/nutty absolutely lovely nose; tart/tangy/bit lean/grapefruity some mineral/saline fairly strong floral/carnations/cardamon/spicy slight honeyed/juicy slight nutty/perfumed talc/metallic somewhat complex flavor; very long/lingering tart/juicy some saline/mineral strong floral/carnations/cardamon/nutmeg/spicy light stony/perfumed talc complex finish that goes on&on; has the lean/tangy character of its youth but now developed a rather juicy/JuicyFruit chewing gum quality; absolutely delicious stuff that would impress them in Friuli or GoriskaBrda.
pineapple rather stony/mineral lovely nose; quite tart/tangy/metallic/steely fairly stony/mineral/chalky bit lean/
tight flavor very long lean/austere/tight light floral/mango/pineapple finish; much like a Friuli PG but much leaner
than most; a rather tight/lean white that will benefit from more age. $30.00

It has developed a lot of secondary character and developed somewhat of a juicy character. And I don't see any signs that it's going to go into a decline anytime soon. Alas, my last btl. I would easily give this a 98 TEPF score.
Not sure the source of the PG, but I believe the Greco comes from ShakeRidge.
2. I hate wines like this. It was so tasty that I realized I'd drunk 2/3'rd's the btl before I sat down to tuck into my platter of fresh tomatoes/basil/burrata & I didn't even get around to open a red last night. Hate it for wines this good.
3. JuicyFruit: This wine had a sort of JuicyFruit chewing gum character to it. Hadn't thought about JuicyFruit and its trademark yellow package in many a year. Made by the Wrigley Company out of Chicago. Primary component was isoamyl acetate. The primary consumers (according to Wikipedia) are ages 3-11. Hmmmm....wonder if JuicyFruit is the gateway drug to aged Massican gemina. In my youth (which I should point out..was not all that long ago), I would go thru a pack (trivia question: how many sticks of gum were in a pack of JuicyFruit gum?) of Juicy fruit in several hours. I loved the initial hit of flavor, but after 10 mins or so, it would lose all that flavor and I would stick it to the bottom of my seat in school. I remember my Mom scolding me for eating JuicyFruit gum because it would make my jaw muscles overdevelop & bulge out and I'd look grotesque and embarrass my Family. Anybody else have a cruel Mom like that?? Yet she never scolded me when I'd chew Fleers or Bazooka or DoubleBubble.
Heck....now I feel compelled to visit the chewing gum rack down at Smith's and revisit JuicyFruit gum and see if it's as good as I recall. Heck...I'll even put up TN's here.
Tom

OK, David...how'd I do on my first DB title line?? Will Jenise approve?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Aunt Gemina Syrup

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Good/job/on/the/title/Tom. :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well..

by TomHill » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Good/job/on/the/title/Tom. :mrgreen:

Well...high compliment indeed, David. What took you so long? Not letting the day job interfere are we?? :roll:
Tom
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:41 pm

TomHill wrote:IThis wine had a sort of JuicyFruit chewing gum character to it... Primary component was isoamyl acetate.

Thanks for that. I had bought into the myth of there being a concrete connection between Juicy Fruit and jackfruit, so much that I was intrigued to get a giant jackfruit specimen shipped to my house a few years ago. But, turns out that they just happen to share isoamyl acetate.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 pm

I was always more of a Wrigley’s Spearmint guy.
Decisions are made by those who show up