The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Bedrock/Carlisle Zins...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Mostly Bedrock/Carlisle Zins...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:44 am

We tried last week (9/12/18) Some (mostly) Carlisle/Bedrock Zins:
1. DryCreekVnyd Zin OldVine (Hrvstd: Aug 18 & Sept 14; 22% PS/2% Carignane; 14.5%; SaH: 26.2 Brix, pH: 3.67,
TA: 0.63; Avg vine age: 95+ yrs; Aged: 16 mo. in Fr/Hungarian/Am.oak; 3 days cold soak; Frmtn: 10-15 days;
www.DryCreekVineyard.com) Healdsburg 2015
: Very dark color; strong blackberry/Zin/raspberry some vanilla/
toasty/oak some dusty/OV bit earthy somewhat complex nose; bit tart/tangy very spicy/Zin/raspberry/blackberry/
black cherry light toasty/oak/vanilla some dusty/OV complex flavor w/ modest bit tangy tannins; very long/
lingering lightly tart strong blackberry/black cherry/raspberry fairly dusty/OV light vanilla/oak finish
w/ light tangy tannins; a bit more rustic & not the bright fruit of Beeson/Sommers, but maybe the best
DCV OV Zin yet. $nc (SR)/$35.00
structured/tight w/ some brisk/tangy tannins; very long/lingering bright/raspberry/blackberry/Zin/very spicy
rather dusty/OV fairly tart/structured light toasty/oak finish w/ some bracing tannins; pretty classic
expression of MR Zin and needs another 3-6 yrs. $44.75
toasty/oak flavor w/ light slightly tangy tannins; very long/lingering bright/high-toned/very spicy/raspberry/
blackberry light dusty/OV light toasty/oak slight licorice/pungent finish w/ light brisk tannins; speaks
strongly of MR Zin. $46.00
a bit beaten down by the TCA. $60.65
very long/lingering classic Amador/briary/brambley/very spicy/Zin light toasty/oak fairly dusty/OV finish w/
light tannins; a pretty classic expression of Amador Zin in a more restrained/elegant style. $36.00
flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long/lingering briary/brambly/AmadorZin/very spicy some dusty/OV finish w/
light gentle tannins; a bit bigger than the '15 but not at all like the Amador Zins of yore; lovely expression
of SV Zin. $35.65
fairly spicy quite dusty/OV light toasty/oak complex nose; bit soft huge blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/spicy/ripe/
licorice/sauvage rather dusty/OV complex flavor w/ some ripe tannins; very long/lingering slight alcoholic
intense blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/very spicy/bit rustic quite dusty/OV structured complex finish w/ modest
smooth/ripe tannins; lots of ripeness but carries the alcohol pretty well; bit more old Carlisle in style
w/ big/bombastic fruit; still needs yrs; a terrific Pagani. $43.75
slight licorice bit more elegant (?) classic Pagani sauvage fairly dusty/OV complex nose; lightly tart very
strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe Zin/bit licorice/bit sauvage fairly dusty/OV very light toasty/oak complex
flavor w/ lighter ripe/smooth tannins; very long/lingering very strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe/very spicy
Zin fairly dusty/OV complex finish w/ modest ripe tannins; almost an elegant (if you can say that) expression
of Pagani but still shows that classic Pagani sauvage/rustic character; beautiful Pagani that can use more yrs.
$44.70
lightly tart intense blackberry/boysenberry/very spicy/Zin light toasty/oak rather dusty/OV some complex flavor
w/ modest bit hard tannins; very long/lingering intense blackberry/boysenberry/spicy/Zin/slight peppery light
toasty/oak finish w/ some crunchy tannins; seems more expressive of Bedrock winemaking and not much of the
Pagani/sauvage character. $39.00
high-toned slight earthy no alcoholic/fumey nose; lightly tart very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/spicy/ripe
rich/lish slight pungent/sauvage light toasty/oak some complex flavor w/ modest soft/ripe tannins; very long/
lingering very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/spicy light toasty/oak fairly dusty/OV finish w/ some ripe/lush
tannins; seems a bit more expressive of the Pagani sauvage character, yet more pure/high-toned Zin character;
a pretty classic Pagani. $45.20
intense boysenberry/blackberry/Zin/spicy quite dusty/OV bit sauvage classic Pagani/rustic some complex nose;
bit soft huge blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/spicy/licorice/pungent quite dusty/OV light toasty/oak complex flavor
w/ some ripe/chewey tannins; very long/lingering intense blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/very spicy quite dusty/OV
bit sauvage/rustic light toasty/oak finish w/ ample ripe/chewey tannins; a very big classic Pagani much like
the Ridge '15; beautiful Pagani. $39.50
dusty/OV light toasty/oak flavor w/ modest rough/coarse tannins; very long rather earthy/dusty/OV somewhat
rough/rustic/boysenberry/chocolaty/licorice light toasty/oak bit complex finish w/ modest rough tannins;
expressive of the Pagani sauvage character but souws the somewhat rough/rustic side of the AB; a superb
expression of AB. $34.75
like intense beautiful nose w/ no fumey/alcoholic character; soft very rich/lush off-dry huge blackberry/
boysenberry/Zin/ripe/plummy almost Zin Essence slight earthy beautiful flavor w/ light ripe/smooth tannins;
very long/lingering very intense blackberry/boysenberry/chocolaty/ripe/Zin/licorice finish w/ light lush
tannins; one step short of an Essence; beautiful Zin that shows no overripe/raisened alcoholic/fumey character
at all.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
More sitzsnuffle from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. DryCreekVnyds: I think DCV are making the best wines they every have under TimBell. There Zins are as good as
anybody's in Calif. I've found in the past that their OV Zin has a pretty heavy hit of oak and was not particularly
fond of it. They have backed off on the new oak and the wine is better for it. Still, I prefer the Sommers and the
Beeson Zins for their brighter more classic DCV fruit.
I've followed the MR Zins for many yrs (Rosenblum/Bedrock/Ravenswood/Carlisle/Biale for a few). It's a Zin that
really needs some age to strut its stuff. The wines tend to have brighter/more raspberry fruit than SonomaVlly.
They tend to be very structured and badly need age. Not as bombastic & more refined/elegant than many other Zin
vnyds.
Both of these MR Zins spoke strongly of MR. I liked them equally well. The Carlisle was a bit bigger/richer and
the Bedrock a bit more restrained and softer. Both should easily go out 10 yrs.
One of the real treasure of MonteRosso is the vey old vine Semillon that they have. Maybe the best Semillon
vnyd in all Calif. I've had some stunning Semillons from there.
important wine writer was wanting to interview them. Lena was one of the d'Agostini family who long had a wnry
(now Sobon Estate) there in the ShenandoahVlly. Dressed in their Sunday finest, they insisted I join them for
lunch. Two of the really finest/salt-of-the-earth people you'd ever want to meet. Reminded me of many of the
farm-folk I knew back in Kansas.
The vnyd is now farmed by their daughter, Denise Esola. I was excited when I found out that Morgan was going
to be buying the Esola grapes. Though different in style from the Ridge & CarnerosCreek Esola Zins, I'm delighted
that Morgan has returned Esola to the greatness that it once had as one of the ShenandoahVlly's great Zin vnyds.
These two Bedrock Zins were quite different in style from what Ridge/CarnerosCreek used to make from these
grapes. Those early ones were made in the style typical of SV Zins of that day....a bit on the overripe side,
a bit alcoholic, often well above 15%. Morgan's Esolas were much brighter, more spicy, more restrained..more in
a style of BillEaston's Zins but just a trifle bigger. Slightly preferred the '16 to the '15.
I find that many Zins from the SV have a character (that "terroir" thing I guess) that reminds me of briary/
bramble blackberry patch. I used to pick blackberries as a Summer job and know it well. It always brings to mind
the UncleRemus TarBaby tale when Bre'rRabbit pleads w/ Bre'rFox..."Pleeze/pleeze....don't throw me in dat briar
patch"...from which he escapes. I wonder if UncleRemus is even allowed in libraries or schools these days??
Anybody know?
Pagani character that usually comes thru in the Ridge/Carlisle/Bedrock bottlings.
I liked all of these Paganis quite a lot. The were, by & large, strongly expressive of the Pagani terroir,
slightly modulated by the respective winemaking style. A terrefic bunch of wines that can all use more age.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Mostly Bedrock/Carlisle Zins...(long/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Finally got some of my Bedrock Monte Rosso bottles out of the offsite storage. Looking forward to a cool evening and food that merits opening some. I dearly recall the Ravenswood Monte Rosso wines. Lost touch with those after 1997, as my access was cut off.
Decisions are made by those who show up