The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chenin, Chard, Riesling, Gamay, PN, Bdx, Primitivo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Chenin, Chard, Riesling, Gamay, PN, Bdx, Primitivo

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Our hound was invited to visit a dachshund friend, and Betsy and I went along for wine and cheese. The 2011 Domaine Vessigault (sp?) Pouilly-Fuisse Vieilles Vignes was oaky, a bit tired, and kinda short. C/C+
Nice visit, except part where Ruby the Basset decided to show how long she was by going upright to get Bucheron off counter. :(

Betsy’s sister joined us for dinner- some charcuterie to start, then grey sole with ginger/soy, rice with furikake, Chinese broccoli, fruit

2015 Pinon Silex Noir Vouvray

Lovely bottle, fairly sweet but with electric acidity, lots of wax/honeycomb, fresh apple and citrus. On day 3 a more quince profile, but still lots of wax. A-/B+

2016 Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Kabinett Trocken
This is nice too- lemon zest and grapefruit, kind of Muscadet saline note, tart in a nice way. Not as long as the Vouvray, but interesting in its own style. B+/B

Grilled a ribeye, had with leftovers and the 2000 Ch. Lanessan. Generous style of claret, black plum and some herbs, tannins in background. I think I might have guessed RB blind. Tasty and good QPR. B/B+

2016 Monaci Piluna Primitivo (Salento)
Wow, this is a tangy volatile mess. Stewed flavors, lifted nose. Comes across as hot despite only 14% abv listed, which isn’t that ripe for Primitivo. C-

Roast chicken, roasted tomatoes with coriander and braised leeks,
2016 Domaine Romy Beaujolais Les Pierres Dorees Vieilles Vignes
Red cherry, a little earth, competent Beaujolais. B-

2017 Pierre-Yves Coin-Morey Rose de Pinot Noir
I’m a big fan of PYCM whites especially the St Aubins, but this a rather unexciting dilute rose. Tasty enough flavors, but light to the point of insubstantial, and a poor value at $30. C+/B-

Scallops and pasta with radish leaf pesto
2015 Wind Gap “Crown Vineyard” Chardonnay
Green apple and lime, some floral notes, a little herby/fennel. Moderate acids, quite tasty. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Chenin, Chard, Riesling, Gamay, PN, Bdx, Primitivo

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:22 pm

I presume that was "Gap's Crown."

I have liked what Pax does with Chardonnay, but not enough to continue allocating funds. Would rather buy his Syrah.
Decisions are made by those who show up