The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

October Wine Advisor: Drink locally ... or ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: October Wine Advisor: Drink locally ... or ...

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 am

Joe Moryl wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Joe Moryl is on the east coast so Finger lakes area is in order.

I actually live in NJ, so I may need to check out some of the local talent for this thread.

Can't recall the winery name off the top of my head, but I recently had a NJ Chambourcin that need make no apologies. It was very good, not just good for a Chambourcin from New Jersey.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:54 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Will be in Ontario for a few days so can try some local wines there! ....
If you aren't familiar, I recommend stopping at Tawse, Cave Spring, Chateau des Charmes (Gamay Droit), Stratus and Flat Rock Cellars. If you decide to cross the border into the US, I might be able to meet you. There are several decent wineries withing 20 miles of the bridge.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:18 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. I loved the Nicolas wines from the first part of the 00s, but then stopped drinking them and I don't think I have seen them locally. Many of the other Jasnières options pale in comparison. Perhaps I will seek them out again! (I also used to love the pineau d'aunis, as long as it was stable it was gorgeous)

I have had enjoyable Jasnières, Coteaux du Loir and Pineau d'Aunis from Les Maisons Rouges, cheaper than if not equal in quality to those of Éric Nicolas. From the nearby Coteaux du Vendômois, Patrice Colin produces wines which are quite similar.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:35 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Will be in Ontario for a few days so can try some local wines there! Meanwhile here is a go-to white from the Okanagan.

Bob, AFAIK, Okanagan is close to 1000km from Edmonton. Using a similar radius, I can claim most of France, Piedmont in Italy and the German Mosel and Rhine wine growing regions as "local" :D :lol: .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 am

Tim York wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. I loved the Nicolas wines from the first part of the 00s, but then stopped drinking them and I don't think I have seen them locally. Many of the other Jasnières options pale in comparison. Perhaps I will seek them out again! (I also used to love the pineau d'aunis, as long as it was stable it was gorgeous)

I have had enjoyable Jasnières, Coteaux du Loir and Pineau d'Aunis from Les Maisons Rouges, cheaper than if not equal in quality to those of Éric Nicolas. From the nearby Coteaux du Vendômois, Patrice Colin produces wines which are quite similar.

How about Domaine de la Roche Bleue? They are available at a favorite store in Nyc and seem to get good praise. Was considering ordering a few.
no avatar
User

win_fried

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

Cologne, Germany

WTN Weingut Blöser, Oberdollendorf, 2015 Riesling halbtrocke

by win_fried » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:13 pm

This is as local as we can get, less than 40km from home, 3 km below Bonn. The winery has been producing wine since 1696.

WTN: Weingut Blöser, Oberdollendorf, 2015, Riesling halbtrocken.

Plastic cork, pale yellow, restrained nose of citrus, quite acidic on the palate, not much else going on, no finish. Drinkable and cheap (5€).
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
How about Domaine de la Roche Bleue? They are available at a favorite store in Nyc and seem to get good praise. Was considering ordering a few.

Rahsaan, that's a new name to me. My only reference book where I can find a mention is Guide des Vins Bettane Desseauve 2015 (I should order the 2019!). Here is their short TN on one of the wines -
Jasnières Le Clos des Molières 2013 sec €18,20.
Grande originalité du goût, précision des les élevages, une belle bouteille qui fait honneur à l'appellation. 15.5/20.

Considering that 2013 was a quite acidic vintage, probably more so than its successors, that's a good TN. I'd be tempted to give it a whirl.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Tim York wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

Rahsaan, that's a new name to me. My only reference book where I can find a mention is Guide des Vins Bettane Desseauve 2015 (I should order the 2019!). Here is their short TN on one of the wines -
Jasnières Le Clos des Molières 2013 sec €18,20.
Grande originalité du goût, précision des les élevages, une belle bouteille qui fait honneur à l'appellation. 15.5/20.

Considering that 2013 was a quite acidic vintage, probably more so than its successors, that's a good TN. I'd be tempted to give it a whirl.

Yes, that's the cuvee that gets attention. I will probably buy some.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Once again, my local taste is beer, a lovely dose of Ponysaurus Bière de Garde. Probably doesn't mean much for people who are not in my area, but I really like these beers. Crisp carbonated yet flavorful and slightly-funky ale, a wonderful transition between the tennis courts and dinner, where I eventually got into a 2012 Giamello Barbaresco, which is lovely and so easy to drink and admire. But unfortunately not local!!
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:13 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Will be in Ontario for a few days so can try some local wines there! ....
If you aren't familiar, I recommend stopping at Tawse, Cave Spring, Chateau des Charmes (Gamay Droit), Stratus and Flat Rock Cellars. If you decide to cross the border into the US, I might be able to meet you. There are several decent wineries withing 20 miles of the bridge.

Replying to Bob: I'd also add Domaine Queylus for their Pinot Noir, especially the 2015 Grand Réserve if you can persuade them to pour it. Westcott has a killer Reserve Chardonnay.

We were in Niagara this weekend for the Pinot Affair winemakers' dinner and tastings. My highlights were:
  • Meldville 2017 Sauvignon Blanc (Meldville is sold only at Legends Winery)
  • Meldville 2016 Pinot Noir (at Legends)
  • Westcott 2016 Reserve Chardonnay
  • Coyote's Run 2014 Rare Vintage Pinot Noir (the Black Paw and Red Paw were good too)
  • Coyote's Run 2015 Aria (Cab/Merlot blend)
  • Domaine Queylus 2015 Réserve du Domaine Pinot Noir (and especially the unreleased Grand Réserve)
  • Flat Rock Cellars 2017 Unplugged Chardonnay
  • Flat Rock Cellars 2009 Gravity Pinot Noir (not tasted this year, but I've had it in the past)
  • Malivoire NV Bissous sparkling Pinot Noir rosé
  • Hidden Bench 2015 Locust Lane Vineyard Pinot Noir
  • Hidden Bench 2015 Rosomel Vineyard Pinot Noir
  • Rosewood 2016 Blackjack Vineyard Pinot Noir (and their honey is great, too)

In general, the 2015 vintage was excellent for Pinot Noir, and the tank samples of the 2018 I had indicated that it will be too. That's a bit surprising, because after a long hot summer, there were torrential rains shortly before harvest, and a lot of the crop was lost.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Out of town on the NC coast, which - as is often the case - means the restaurant wine lists are To Be Avoided At All Costs. Therefore local drinking means beer.

Duck Rabbit Milk Stout is not something I usually drink, they are not one of my favorite NC breweries. But, these Outer Banks lists are not all that great, and with that in mind this was actually quite pleasant. Fresh and drinkable for a stout, which is what I like.

The real 'local' beer was the Outer Banks Brewing Station Lemongrass Wheat Ale. Fairly mild on the lemongrass component, and not sure I would have even been able to identify it as such. But, something adds a nice herbal tang and this goes down well with food.

Am generally a fan of Mother Earth and was happy to see a selection I had not tried. The Mother Earth Brewing Blackbeard's Booty Blonde Ale was much fuller flavored and hoppier than the Lemongrass Ale that preceded it. Not what I would want to drink all night, but the crisp carbonation and clean (not sweet) body made it very enjoyable almost to the end. Very solid and crowd-pleasing beer.

No shame in drinking local!
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:09 am

kasey.dubler wrote: I'm originally from Southern California, specifically a small town east of San Diego called Julian.

I'm also a Southern California baby and have tasted some Julian wines. A cool Sauv Blanc from, IIRC, a winery whose name was Julian Winery back when it may have been the only winery there, and some very classy, rich merlots from a winery whose name I don't exactly remember except that it started with 'O'. Both were revelations based on lesser impressions from Temecula for the reasons you cite.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Nice beer note from Rahsaan.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:50 pm

I live in a wine state. There are local wineries near me, though mostly the fruit comes from Eastern Washington. What's grown closer to home are the grapes that do offdry and sweet wines better, like chasselas and madeline angevine. Not a fan and I don't need to taste another one to reinforce that.

So heck, what about British Columbia's Okanagan Valley where I happened to spend two days this week. Is 250 miles local enough? I think so. We stayed at Tinhorn Creek Winery on this trip, and had lunch at the Quails Gate winery on the way home (an exceptional restaurant). Here are the six wines we experienced:

2017 Tinhorn Creek Gewürztraminer Golden Mile Bench VQA
Personally, not a gewurz fan because most are too ginger-perfumed and adorned with RS. This one avoids those pitfalls, it's closer to dry with great balance and minerality. Clean finish.

2017 Quails' Gate Estate Winery Dry Riesling Okanagan Valley VQA
Nicely delineated fruit, clean and refreshing. Where I normally would prefer chenin blanc to riesling, in this case the riesling was the clear winner.

2017 Quails' Gate Estate Winery Chenin Blanc Okanagan Valley VQA
Lean and spare on the fruit and bone dry on the finish. More successful with food than on its own, but no wow factor here.

2015 Quails' Gate Estate Winery Pinot Noir Okanagan Valley VQA
Purchased in WA state at a closeout price of $15. Well worth it--needs some aeration to loosen up, but good body with beet, black cherry, celery seed and parsley which perfectly depict a rich vintage in a cool climate. I'm going back for more.

2016 Tinhorn Creek Cabernet Franc Innovation Series Okanagan Valley VQA
Whole cluster fermentation adds a lot of herbaceous character to this wine; in a blind tasting could pass for Loire Valley and that's a compliment.

2016 Tinhorn Creek Pinot Noir Innovation Series White Pinot Noir Okanagan Valley VQA
Lovely 'eye of the swan' pale pink. Lots of body but more residual sugar and less acid than would suit my preference
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Jenise wrote:
kasey.dubler wrote: I'm originally from Southern California, specifically a small town east of San Diego called Julian.

I'm also a Southern California baby and have tasted some Julian wines. A cool Sauv Blanc from, IIRC, a winery whose name was Julian Winery back when it may have been the only winery there, and some very classy, rich merlots from a winery whose name I don't exactly remember except that it started with 'O'. Both were revelations based on lesser impressions from Temecula for the reasons you cite.

Jenisse, very likely Orfila. Funny thing, the tasting room were we tasted wine is in the same building that Orfila had a tasting room for years! They moved out at some point, not sure when, but now the Julian Winery has a tasting room in the same building. I still have a bottle of Orfila's dessert style port wine in my cellar somewhere...

I don't think Southern California will ever rival Northern California for wine, but some of the cooler locations at high elevation have great potential!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:55 pm

The Tinhorn Cab Franc Jenise posted on sounds good.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:35 pm

So many local beers of pretty good quality that I always like to try new things, even if they don't end up being fully satisfying. (Of course it helps that I have other beverages on hand...)

At a restaurant, Mystery Brewing Orbiter Belgian White Ale was an obvious choice because I like refreshing white ales and people tell me good things about Mystery. But maybe I've never had the right beers from them, because I have yet to be convinced and this did not do it either. A bit sweet muddled and murky for what I was expecting from a white ale. Although, could have been the restaurant's storage. Nonetheless, I was sad to see that Mystery will apparently be closing because of the eternal cash flow issues of running a small business. It ain't easy!

Was very intrigued to try Brewery Bhavana Boult, which is an Imperial Kvass style beer, something I was not familiar with before picking up the bottle. But, google told me Kvass is the Russian take on rye beers, a genre I have loved in Germany, England and elsewhere. However, as typical Americans, the folks at Bhavana could not restrain their creativity and this one went far into sour beer territory. I can see that it is well-made and 'balanced' for a sour beer, but that's not my type of thing and I do not finish the bottle. Live and learn!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

2012 Leonard Oakes Meritage

by Howie Hart » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 am

Due to health and other issues over the past 4 years, I don't think I've posted a WTN in a long time. I was excited about this month's topic and was hoping to try something earlier, but the first 2 weeks of the month were spent on the couch with a very bad cold, followed by a week in Florida for my grandson's first birthday. Finally, last night I opened a bottle from my stash to enjoy while watching the World Series.
Leonard Oakes is a small winery, named for the great-grandfather of the wine maker, Jonathan Oakes, who I consider a friend. The farm was originally planed with apples in the 1880s, which is still a very large part of their business. Their Steampunk sparkling cider is well known locally and I've taken bottles of it to MOCOOL in the past. The winery is about 40 miles from me in Lyndonville, NY, about 3 miles from Lake Ontario and they also make outstanding Riesling.
2012 Leonard Oakes Meritage - 2012 was one of the best vintages in memory for this area. The wine is labeled as New York State, so there is no indication of where the grapes were grown or who grew them. Nor is there any indication of the blend of grapes. I will send Jonathan an email to see if he can answer my questions. In the glass, deep color, no bricking. On the nose, initially a dusty earthiness and plums. As it opened up over 90 minutes or so, hints of kalamata olives, vanilla and spice (cloves? anise?) opened up. In the mouth there is juicy acidity and soft tannins and a medium-long, full finish. This more closely resembles Bordeaux than CA. I enjoyed it.
EDIT - 10/29 - Jonathan Oakes got back to me. All the grapes are grown in Niagara County by a few different growers, except for a portion of the Cab Franc, which is grown on their property, located in Orleans County, about 10 miles from Niagara County. Since only a portion of the grapes are actually grown in the Niagara Escarpment AVA, the wine has to be designated as New York State. The blend is about equal parts Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Merlot.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Previous