The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Red & a White w/ Dinner...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A Red & a White w/ Dinner...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:05 am

Tried these two w/ dinner last night:
1. Chester'sAnvil GretnaGreen NapaVlly (13.8%; StagecoachVnyd; Rouss/Viog; 120 cs; www.LagierMeredith.com) 2012: Med.gold color; strong waxy/bit figgy bit appley some floral/honeysuckle/honeyed/Rouss slight peachy/Viog very light smokey/oak bit Rhonish/earthy some complex nose; bit soft rather rich/lush some waxy/figgy/honeyed very light toasty/pencilly/oak some appley/honeyed/honeysuckle/floral slight spicy/ginger light earthy very interesting bit Rhonish/pungent flavor; very long bit soft some floral/honeyed/honeysuckle/Rouss slight peachy/peach blossom bit figgy/waxy light smokey/oak bit earthy/Rhonish some complex finish; reminds a bit of a SouthernRhone but w/o the stony minerality; developing quite nicely and will go another 4-7 yrs; none of that nutty/toasted hazelnutes character showing yet. $31.50
2. Radio-Coteau PinotNoir Alberigi RRV (13.6%; 316 cs; U/U; www.RadioCoteau.com) 2009: Med.color w/ light bricking; some toasty/pencilly/Fr.oak light earthy/dusty quite fragrant black cherry/PN/bit peppery/spicy fairly complex mature PN nose; rather tart/tangy strong black cherry/PN/spicy light shoe polish (Shinola) bit peppery bit complex lovely smooth flavor w/ light smooth bit tangy tannins; long bit tangy/tart strong black cherry/PN/spicy/bit peppery slight earthy/dusty slight Shinola light pencilly/toasty/Fr.oak/bit smokey smooth/lush bit complex finish w/ light gentle tannins; a lovely fully-mature classic RRV Pinot that's not going to get better.
1. Shinola: I was picking up hints of Shinola in the R-C PN. So I went to my cupboard, pulled out a can (now pretty dried out), and took a whiff. Yup...same smell I recall from my youth and college days of AirForce ROTC. This tin must have been from my college days. The company was founded in 1877 and went out of business in 1960. Apparently it was revived in 2011 and now makes Shinola shoe polish again. I'll have to buy a tin and see if it still smells the same.
I seem to recall there was some other word that was always used w/ the Shinola word, but danged if I can remember it. :-)
I also used a liquid shoe polish that came in a small btl w/ a fuzzy cotton swab applicator. Danged if I can remember the brand name. It didn't hold a candle to Shinola/Kiwi for putting a shine on a shoe. Does anybody shine leather shoes anymore?
2. Radio-Coteau: This used to be one of my must-purchase wineries. EricSussman is the winemaker. Since I don't buy much Pinot anymore and only occasional Syrahs, they've sorta fallen off my radar. But I continue to buy the Lemorel (vonWeidlich) Zin, one of Calif's great Zins yr in & yr out.
Tom