The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good weekend of wines (Spain, France, US, Germany)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Good weekend of wines (Spain, France, US, Germany)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:16 am

Friday I did sous vide miso salmon, udon, kale, and salad. Wine was the 2016 Dutraive Fleurie. Bright, crunchy red fruits (cherry and raspberry), floral, herby. Fresh and balanced, very good. B+

Saturday a violist was visiting from Japan, and all of Betsy’s quarter (and some spouses) gathered for dinner. Breasola, lonza, smoked salmon, then to table for a tomato salad on spiced yogurt with a creamy herb dressing. Main course was a Boulud chicken tagine with couscous, then tatsoi salad, cheeses (Flory’s Truckle and Lighthouse Keeper- got at Murray’s because the quartet has played a piece called Lighthouse Keeper in Maine last 2 summers), cherry pie.

NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve Blanc de Blancs
This predates the QR codes. Pear and citrus zest, fresh dough, crisp acids. With time apple blossoms on the nose. Fresh and vibrant, quite complex for NV . B++

NV Brun FRV100
Fresh, offdry, frothy fun. B

2011 Jadot Meursault
Some oak, good acids, pear and a little hazelnut. B/B+

2012 Copain “Tous Ensemble” Chardonnay (Anderson Valley)
Full but not heavy, good acids for CA, peach and pear, nice snappy finish. B/B+

1970 Ch. Beychevelle
Resolved tannins, some acid backbone, plush black plum fruit with loads of tobacco and leather. Very tasty mature St. Julien. B+/A-

Sunday a group of friends gathered to celebrate a string of late Sept /early Oct birthdays. I carried chorizo, but Cal did the vast majority of the food. Tapas included tortilla, fennel/orange salad, snow pea salad, olives, spinach with pinenuts, meatballs with 2 sauces, deviled eggs, peppers with capers, then he grilled a chicken/seafood paella

NV Castellroig Cava Brut

Light, very dry, crisp and herby. Nothing complex but good value in $10 bubbly. B/B-

2016 Zarate Val do Salnes Albarino ( Rias Baixas)

High acids, citrus and green apple, nice rocky finish. B+/B

2012 CVNE “Cune” Rioja Gran Reserva

I think this will be nice in time- nice fruit base, good acids- but right now too much wood notes. B-

Monday was actual birthday, but we kept it low key. Texas brisket, potatoes, beet/chevre salad, cauliflower soup. Wine was the 2017 Kruger-Rumpf Dry Rose of Pinot Noir. Says dry on label, but there’s some distinct sugar, but it’s balanced with very good acidity. Light/breezy, spunky, fun. Strawberries and cranberries. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Good weekend of wines (Spain, France, US, Germany)

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Dale Williams wrote: cherry pie..

Nice work. Fresh cherries?

I've been re-watching Twin Peaks and the constant talk of cherry pie has me salivating every time! (I love cherries, in the summer I easily eat 1kg after each meal for dessert). But I don't really make pies at home.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:24 am

I don't eat dessert, didn't pay attention, think it was actually a tart from a good bakery (brought by guest).

Have you seen the Twin Peaks reboot? I haven't. Interesting NPR piece about effect of original on Snoqualmie, WA recently.

But speaking of fresh fruit- my list of dishes at communal birthday dinner didn't include fresh pawpaw. I've always heard of it, but first time to try. Distinct banana flavor, over a mango-y base. Apparently hard to cultivate commercially as won't ripen if picked early, and then deterioates quickly when picked. Friends planted tree 5 years ago as part of a return the native plants program, just eat when it falls off tree.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Have you seen the Twin Peaks reboot? I haven't. Interesting NPR piece about effect of original on Snoqualmie, WA recently.

No. I'm actually not sure I'm going to be able to get through the first 2 original seasons and have enough interest to keep going.

But speaking of fresh fruit- my list of dishes at communal birthday dinner didn't include fresh pawpaw. I've always heard of it, but first time to try..

So that is pawpaw from a tree grown in NY state? You may know that apparently it is 'native' to North Carolina. A few people bring it to the farmers market here in Chapel Hill but I have not enjoyed their specimens. Hard to know if it was my aversion to the fruit in general or just their specimens. At least yours sound good!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Yes, Westchester county fruit . Interesting because it has tropical tilt.
I liked, especially for novelty, but didn't love as it could have used more acid/zip
But notable for me to try a fruit I didnt know, especially locally grown
Even if I grew up in NC
Apparently indigenous to most of East Coast and Miss Valley regions
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:46 am

FYI, the Kruger-Rumpf has 8 g/l of RS, so 1 gram under the top limit for Trocken/dry.
Decisions are made by those who show up