The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Friulano

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Friulano

by Saina » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Santomè Tai Bianco "Parcel #368" 2012 - IGT Marca Trevigiana; 100% Friulano; 14% abv; c.20€

The first sniff was quite an assault on the senses: gorgeous stone fruit/apricot aromas and intense leesiness and minerality. Wow. Nothing wrong with that, I was just mentally unprepared for such a punch in the nose. The second sniff I take with more caution. It's lovely but that leesiness is something truly amazing - it's how I imagine Muscadet to be if Melon were a more aromatic grape. So I look at the back label and it is aged 56 months on lees and now that intensity starts to make sense. Quite broad and rich on the palate, intensely fruity but with enough juicy acidity that it is very moreish. It's almost steely in its structure. I like this a lot. Buy again? Yeah.

I haven't tasted enough Friulano to know what typicity is for the grape. If this is any indication of what it can do, I might need to try more.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Friulano

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Wow! I want some of that! Otto, in my experience - and I've traveled in Friuli-Venezia Giulia a fair amount - Friulano (no longer Tokay) parallels Pinot Grigio in the region: They can make an intense, layered wine out of it, but it doesn't often happen.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Friulano

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 pm

Great note, cheers!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Generally...

by TomHill » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:47 am

Otto wrote:Santomè Tai Bianco "Parcel #368" 2012 - IGT Marca Trevigiana; 100% Friulano; 14% abv; c.20€

The first sniff was quite an assault on the senses: gorgeous stone fruit/apricot aromas and intense leesiness and minerality. Wow. Nothing wrong with that, I was just mentally unprepared for such a punch in the nose. The second sniff I take with more caution. It's lovely but that leesiness is something truly amazing - it's how I imagine Muscadet to be if Melon were a more aromatic grape. So I look at the back label and it is aged 56 months on lees and now that intensity starts to make sense. Quite broad and rich on the palate, intensely fruity but with enough juicy acidity that it is very moreish. It's almost steely in its structure. I like this a lot. Buy again? Yeah.

I haven't tasted enough Friulano to know what typicity is for the grape. If this is any indication of what it can do, I might need to try more.

Generally, Otto...Friuli Friuliano is just a pleasant quaffing white wine. But it can be, at times, a pretty serious wine. Sounds like this one (which I've not tried) was just such one.
The Ronchi del Genemiz Friulano SanZuan 2015 (I got it thru BalancedWineSlctns), a vnyd designate Friulano, is another serious Friulano.
Tom