The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Les Carmes Haut-Brion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

WTN: 1998 Les Carmes Haut-Brion

by Covert » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 pm

I post trash on Friends and Fun, but I haven’t posted anything on the Wine Forum in many years. When my wife contracted breast cancer about eight years ago, and alcohol was contraindicated, I stopped buying or paying any attention to wine, so I forgot a lot of things I had learned. After she died a year and a half ago, I started drinking a bottle of Bordeaux we had collected almost every night. When I pulled a bottle of 1998 Les Carmes Haut-Brion out of my cellar tonight, I thought, like a novice, that it was the second wine of Haut-Brion, and expected it to taste like a second wine.

After one sniff, and sip, I cried, OMG! This is terrific! What a fantastic nose with its cedar and tobacco; the mid-palate is so classy, with good acidity, and the finish seems never to end! I have First Growths down to good Cru Bourgeois in my cellar, and if this wine didn’t express so much Merlot and Cabernet Franc, I would swear it was a First or Second Growth from a good year.

Anyway, I thought I would post something other than BS on this forum for a change, and this wine is no BS.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: 1998 Les Carmes Haut-Brion

by Jon Leifer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:04 pm

Welcome back, Covert..Sorry to hear about your wife's passing..Please accept my sincere condolences..Glad to see you back and posting, please stay around
Jon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1998 Les Carmes Haut-Brion

by Jenise » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:51 pm

The key here is that the 98's of Pessac were especially good (in my experience), much better than the rest of the left bank .
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov