The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Bdx in Sacramento

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Mostly Bdx in Sacramento

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Wednesday we travelled across Sacramento to see and old wine friend and his family. We were greeted by Arv, Jen, their beautiful twins, and their German Shepherd

Charcuterie, pickled green beans, white asparagus, chevre, more
2015 Bonnette Condrieu
Good acids for Viognier, floral/tropical without being over the top, interesting and fun. B+

Then tovely table for excellent Caesar salad and amazing rabbit/duck cassoulet., with charming 8 year old servers!

2003 Colombier Hermitage
KIrsch/framboise, smoke, a little meat. This was big and ripe but not totally over the top. Modern, ripe vintage, not really my style but well done. For me B-

2000 La Tour Haut Brion
Glad Arv opened this, not a wine I see much (and property no longer exists). Nice showing - young, tannin apparent but not harsh, bright cassis overlaid with gravely earth and tobacco. Just a hint of the cigarbox to come. Good showing. B+/A-

1985 Canon

Cork broke, but wine showed well. Mature but not at all tired, blsck cherry and plum, tobacco, coffee. Resolved tannin, good acids, long smoky finish. A-

There was apple pie that drew raves
2005 Rayne-Vigneau (375)
Not a chateau I have much experience with, but nice showing. Pineapple, orange marmalade, long honied finish , just enough acid to balance the richness. A vanilla note mixes with the citrus to give it a Creamsicle note. B+

Really fun night with great people, and Betsy drove us back to her mom’s.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Mostly Bdx in Sacramento

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:54 pm

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker