The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

GTN: Farmer's Botanical Small Batch Organic Gin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

GTN: Farmer's Botanical Small Batch Organic Gin

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Farmer's Botanical Small Batch Organic Gin ($22.99)

Clear, watery pale with just a hint of buff color. If you're used to the distinct juniper scent of more traditional gins, this American organic gin may surprise you: Juniper is there, but a pleasant soft citric vegetal scent of lemongrass dominates the scent for me, with earthy spicy notes of coriander seed and other subtle botanicals. It's a bit warm on the palate at 93.4 proof, but its smooth, mellow character holds the heat under control and makes it an excellent mixer in negronis, martinis, gin and tonics or whatever you like. (Oct. 11, 2018)

VALUE:
I got a good deal compared with Wine-Searcher.com's $30 average retail, but in the realm of artisanal gins, $30 is certainly a reasonable price.

WEB LINK
Don't bother to click. At this point, the Farmer's Gin website is limited to a single sentence, "The new Farmer's Gin website is coming soon!"

FIND THIS DRINK ONLINE:
Find vendors and compare prices for Farmer's Botanical Small Batch Organic Gin on Wine-Searcher.com.

Learn about gin and browse a list of brands and stores on this Wine-Searcher link.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: GTN: Farmer's Botanical Small Batch Organic Gin

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 am

Nice.

I had some very good gins from two distillers in Canmore, Alberta on my recent vacation. Unfortunately neither has distribution in the USA.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:28 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I had some very good gins from two distillers in Canmore, Alberta on my recent vacation. Unfortunately neither has distribution in the USA.

Don't you hate it when that happens? :twisted:

The good news is that it seems that micro-distilleries for gin are popping up everywhere. We've got a half-dozen around here, and a couple of them are really worthy. I'm sure the same's true in your neck of the woods. Of course, one bottle of gin probably lasts me a year, so I don't try that much. :) On the other hand, this stuff is good enough that it might disappear sooner.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:54 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I had some very good gins from two distillers in Canmore, Alberta on my recent vacation. Unfortunately neither has distribution in the USA.

Don't you hate it when that happens? :twisted:

The good news is that it seems that micro-distilleries for gin are popping up everywhere. We've got a half-dozen around here, and a couple of them are really worthy. I'm sure the same's true in your neck of the woods. Of course, one bottle of gin probably lasts me a year, so I don't try that much. :) On the other hand, this stuff is good enough that it might disappear sooner.

Bob and I have both acquired a fondness for gin; we drink it more often than any other hooch. Which isn't very often--maybe once a month as wine is still our favorite thing--but when you consider that the bottle of Gilbey's Bob owned when we got married lasted 25 years before getting replaced, this is a definite difference. And it came about because my brother, a gin/martini drinker, started visiting and I needed to have a few options on hand.

Exploring micro distilleries is great fun, too. We have one here in Bellingham who has a great story--they were an apple orchard, growing mainly Jonathans. 20 acres of apples within the city limits which sold real well until suddenly the bottom dropped out of the market--can't remember the story but something to do with changing habits in Japan. The price they could get for their apples plumetted something like 80%. As they faced bankruptcy, it somehow it occurred to them to start a distillery using apples as the juice source, and now they're a thriving destination business with event space and cafe who have to buy apples to meet demand.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:05 am

That’s a great outcome for them. Reminds me of my shade tobacco farmer friend who has switched to barley and hops. He’s now incredibly busy with his malt house, selling to the bevy of local craft breweries.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:That’s a great outcome for them. Reminds me of my shade tobacco farmer friend who has switched to barley and hops. He’s now incredibly busy with his malt house, selling to the bevy of local craft breweries.

Yeah, Kentucky, as a big tobacco state, had a number of programs aimed at providing help for tobacco farmers to set up alternative crops with potential for added value. A fair number became wineries, although it'll be a long time (can you say "never"?) before any of it gains critical acclaim, or has any chance of being sold outside the state.