The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

100% Graciano--ever had one?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

100% Graciano--ever had one?

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:42 pm

The most head-turning wines of our three week trip to Europe (ten days St. Emilion, ten days Spain, and 24 hours in Dubai) were 1) a 100% Graciano at Contino in Rioja, and 2) the ridiculous goodness of wine available for just 2E a glass, if that much, when you just ask for "tinto" at just about any bar in Spain.

That Graciano...never had one before, had NO idea what it tasted like. But it was mindblowing--so different, so exotic, and yet all in ways that were acceptably within the parameters of major fine wine and not odd at all. Pourers at other wineries brought the Contino up too, so it's a local wonder of the moment. But it's 65E a bottle, so they know what they've got.

I discovered that a little Graciano is being grown in Washington, but it's being purposed into blends 10% here or there, just like Spain. Contino's version says it deserves to be a stand-alone variety.

But whoever sees it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: 100% Graciano--ever had one?

by Tim York » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Jenise, I have had Contino Graciano a couple of times many years ago (probably vintages from the 90s) but I don't remember much about them, which suggests that my experiences were less outstanding than yours. The grape is said to add structure and ageing potential to the Rioja blend.

Thinking that it was about time I had another look, I just checked out a couple of Spanish web sellers but cannot improve on 65€/bottle + transport for the 2014.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Yeah, I've had some nice Graciano wines, and the variety is gaining popularity in Spain. It is apparently hard to grow, and the joke is the name comes from growers saying 'Gracias, no!'. Never had the Contino because of the $$, but there is a cheap Rioja Rio Madre Graciano from Bodegas Ilucre which was punching above its price when I had it a few years back (probably '12 or '13 vintages). It appears to be widely available around here. Also good at the affordable end is Bhilar Lagrimas de Graciano, but that one might be harder to find.

I love the bucket of BTG bottles of various types that sits on the average bar in Spain. Very easy and cheap to experiment with whatever is available - that is how I came to appreciate the Vinos de Madrid/Gredos Garnachas. I'm normally not much of a Grenache lover, so buying a whole bottle of Spanish Garnacha is not something I would normally do, but man, there are some interesting ones being made up in them thar hills!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup..

by TomHill » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Louisa Lindquist’s EdnaVlly Graciano is lovely.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:05 am

Hazy notes from the past here, think one or two?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:54 am

In Rioja in 2015 we visited Bodegas Primicia* in the old hill-top fortified tow of Laguardia in Rioja Alavesa

Among their wines they ake 4 varietals of the Rioja grapes, Tempranillo, Mazuelo, Garnacha and Graciano.

It was the latter that impressed me enough to buy to bring back on the plane. The 2012 cost €9 at the winery. Lovely variety, lovely wine.

* www.bodegascasaprimicia
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:23 pm

With a name like "Graciano" (pleasing, blessed, beloved) you would think it would be a "stand- alone" variety.

Salute
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:50 pm

I missed this table at a big portfolio tasting last year, but Bhilar Lagrimas de Graciano was a big hit. Skurnik is one of the importers, so it ought to be findable around NYC at least.
https://www.skurnik.com/sku/rioja-lagri ... as-bhilar/
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 pm

I picked up a bottle of Bodegas Ondalán Oyón Rioja 100 Abades recently which is 100% Graciano I believe, but haven't opened it yet, I think I know what I'm doing this weekend...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Peter May wrote:In Rioja in 2015 we visited Bodegas Primicia* in the old hill-top fortified tow of Laguardia in Rioja Alavesa

Among their wines they ake 4 varietals of the Rioja grapes, Tempranillo, Mazuelo, Garnacha and Graciano.

It was the latter that impressed me enough to buy to bring back on the plane. The 2012 cost €9 at the winery. Lovely variety, lovely wine.

* http://www.bodegascasaprimicia

Interesting! Stayed a night in Laguardia but missed finding out that there's a winery there. I'll bet it was interesting to taste the Mazuelo too--no idea what that brings to a blend, but many/most use a little.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:58 pm

kasey.dubler wrote:I picked up a bottle of Bodegas Ondalán Oyón Rioja 100 Abades recently which is 100% Graciano I believe, but haven't opened it yet, I think I know what I'm doing this weekend...

Cool! Report back!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Would be nice to hear your views! I am in a Graciano mood :D
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 am

The Rioja Rio Madre Graciano mentioned above used to be available in the BCLDB, but I don't think it is anymore. I did try a bottle, and it was definitely interesting and different.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Given the confusion between Graciano and Mourvedre / Monastrell, maybe I have had a "mourvedre" that was graciano...
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/articl ... 132432.php
Would love to try a varietal graciano that was labeled as such, though!
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Great response, keep em coming.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm

I picked this one up locally. Quite opposite of the wonderful Contino: 2015 Principe de Viana Graciano (Tinto Roble), Navarra
Tastes like someone made wine out of the grape soda of my childhood. $13, not recommended.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 pm

The only varietal graciano that I've had was the Lustau NV Tintilla de Rota red sherry.

-Paul W.