The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A trio of Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

A trio of Riesling

by kasey.dubler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 pm

1998 Kientzler Riesling Geisberg, France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru
First bottle of Riesling of the evening, was consumed with charcuterie. I drink a lot of Riesling, but usually German, my first experience with 20+ year old dry Riesling. Gold, with hints of browning when opened. Shows signs of oxidation, but nothing more than you would expect from a wine of this age. Hazelnut, and brioche nose with hints of bruised apples and pears. This taste much older than a Off-Dry style German Riesling does at the same age, not bad, just different.

As it opens up a little the fruit shows through a little bit more. Still mainly pears and apples with a little marzipan and a dusty note.

This wine is still very much alive, but also taste it's age. If you still have I would suggest drinking up in the next 2-3 years.

2015 Meyer-Fonné Riesling Kaefferkopf Vendages Tardives, France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru
Had with a pumpkin pie dessert

Lighter in color than I was expecting from a VT wine. Just an explosion on the nose, showing signs of botrytis, ginger, mushrooms and a hint of saffron. Also almost has a clove aroma with honey and tree fruit. This has the stuffing to live for 30 years probably. Right now it is delicious, and has so much going on, but it seems like it's still a little shy and not showing everything it has to offer yet. Hold for 10+

2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese, Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
Final Riesling of the evening. This was just singing, enough time for the flavors to some together, but also still shows signs of youth. Sweetness was held in check, on the nose it was floral, some apricot, apple and a smack of that famous Mosel slate. The Alsatian VT we had tonight has more potential, but was a bit too young this was perfectly aged and ready to go! If you have any it's drinking perfectly, but could likely hold for a long time still...

Had a White Burg and a Chianti as well, but I didn't get info on which ones, too bad they were both lovely...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: A trio of Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:04 am

I have not had a Kientzler in years, but I have some on the way.

That Prüm has ages to go before it hit maturity. 2007 is going to turn out to be the hidden gem of in the early decades of this century.
Decisions are made by those who show up