The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd '16...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd '16...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:37 am

My Idlewild shipment arrived this week, so couldn't resist cracking:
1. Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd/MendoCnty (12.9%; www.IdlewildWines.com) 2016: Med.gold bit cloudy color; very strong floral/Cortese/carnations slight stony/mineral very light phenolic/resiny/skin-contact slight smokey/smoked hot dog/spicy quite perfumed complex old-world nose; quite tart/tangy some phenolic/resiny/skin-contact some floral/carnations/Cortese fairly stony/chalky/mineral flavor w/ light tannic bite; very long/lingering someskin-contact/phenolic fairly floral/carnations/apple/quince/spicy/Cortese light chalky/mineral rather tart finish w/ light tannic bite; still pretty primary but a wine that will put on weight and become something pretty special; try again in a yr and should go out some 10 yrs or more; very nice balance between floral fruit/minerality/and phenolic; lovely stuff that'll only get better. $40.00
1. SamBilbro makes a Cortese that is World Class and unlike any from the Piemonte. He makes two passes at harvest. One side of the rows get more sun exposure and pick up a little sunburn. The other side is more shaded w/ less sun exposure. The first side he fermnts as a skin-contact white to capture the greater phenolics in thos grapes. The shaded side is given a direct-to-crush treatment. He then blends the two lots. So the wine typically shows a slight degree of phenolic character. I find they age into something really exotic. Did I mention that his Cortese is World-class?
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd '16...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am

Mine just showed up yesterday. Need to let it settle for a while, then open one to compare with your thoughts. I do love the wine - year after year.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Mine just showed up yesterday. Need to let it settle for a while, then open one to compare with your thoughts. I do love the wine - year after year.

Yup...I may have jumped the gun, David. But I kept hearing this squeaky little voice from my Idlewild
shipment.."Try me...try me". So I gave in.
I always go long on the Arneis, the Cortese, and the Nebb.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd '16...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:12 pm

I actually bought a fair bit of Dolcetto this time. I love it (and The Bird) with pizza.
Decisions are made by those who show up