The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

750Daily: Embracing the Flor

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

750Daily: Embracing the Flor

by TomHill » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 am

Quite an interesting article, as linked by WineTerroirist, in 750Daily by KatherineCole:
EmbracingTheFlor
on the increasing use of flor yeast to make sous voile/umami-laden wines. This is, of course, the technique used in making fino sherries and many of the wines in the Jura.
I've had a couple of these made in Calif. They're not very fun to taste on their own, but they badly need food to make them sing.
So.....I guess orange/skin-contact whites have now become so yesterday and sous voile wines are the next big trend for hip Somms to jump on. Hurry up....the train is leaving the station!!
I would wonder how winemakers that have floor yeast infections in their wineries keep it from spreading to their regular wines? Just keeping the barrels topped up sufficient?
Tom
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: 750Daily: Embracing the Flor

by Paul Winalski » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 pm

TomHill wrote:I would wonder how winemakers that have floor yeast infections in their wineries keep it from spreading to their regular wines? Just keeping the barrels topped up sufficient?

Amusing typo there. :wink: Or did you really mean floor instead of flor? I would imagine that the same sorts of hygiene regimens that prevent brett infestation would work against flor getting into unwanted places. And yes, topping up barrels, since flor grows on the surface and likes oxygen.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

LOL..

by TomHill » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
TomHill wrote:I would wonder how winemakers that have floor yeast infections in their wineries keep it from spreading to their regular wines? Just keeping the barrels topped up sufficient?

Amusing typo there. :wink: Or did you really mean floor instead of flor? I would imagine that the same sorts of hygiene regimens that prevent brett infestation would work against flor getting into unwanted places. And yes, topping up barrels, since flor grows on the surface and likes oxygen.

-Paul W.

Yeah, Paul.....typo there.
Tom