The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dinner Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Dinner Wines

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 pm

some lovely wines with amazing last-of-the-season caprese salad, basil potatoes, and tri tip:

Joseph Swan Viognier 2014. Lovely V on the savory side. Actually worked well with the tomatoes!

2011 Baldacci Family Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon (Stag's Leap). This was much more massive when released. Now it is definitely medium-bodied perhaps a touch thin, but the tannins are well resolved and there is a lovely herbal/minty/Stags Leap anise character that sang with the food!

For after dinner (Episode 5 of Man In the High Castle....Damn Oberstgruppenfuehrer Smith is a bad ass!) 2011 Preston Family Zinfandel-Dry Creek Valley. A fairly lean interpretation of DCV Zinfandel. Good acid (yes!). A lighter bodied savory core, but the zinberry fruit is definitely still there.

Nice wine with a delicious dinner!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Dinner Wines

by Jenise » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:26 pm

Not at all a fan of viognier but in fact it pairs wonderfully with tomatoes, good match there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Jenise:

I do not like the heavy, cloying Viogniers myself, but there are definitely some leaner wines that are winners. Gewürztraminer is another grape that shares this failing to me but I feel can be lovely in the right (IPOB) hands!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:24 pm

I agree Brian. I can't bear the "old lady perfume" aromas. But know who's doing some great gewurz? British Columbia. Some time when you're up visiting your sister....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov