The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: CHardonnay, Sangio, CS, Syrah, Lemberger, more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: CHardonnay, Sangio, CS, Syrah, Lemberger, more

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:07 pm

With leftovers, the 2015 LeSeurre Lemberger (Finger Lakes). Ripe for Blaufrankisch (12% abv, tastes riper), some vanilla, sweet. B-/B

Betsy and a friend were in VIrginia, invited her friend’s husband and dog for dinner. He brought some home-smoked mackerel and trout

2012 Copain “Tous Ensemble” Chardonnay (Anderson Valley)
Bright, stone fruits and honeycrisp, big but not ungainly. B+/B

I made grilled brats and Korean pork butt, sweet dumpling squash stuffed with rice, Chinese mustard greens, & beet salad

1975 BV Georges de LaTour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
This was a bottle rejected by Winebid for color. In bottle looked pretty normal to me, it’s just I’ve found the post 1970 BVs a bit disappointing. When poured dark ruby with a little browning on edges. This was a very odd bottle- not especially oxidized, but with a heavy maple syrup (!) note.Stewed plum and fig, that maple syrup note, somewhat abrupt finish. B-/C+ , maybe more if you were having with breakfast.

2011 Faury St. Joseph
Tight and takes a little while to open. Black plum, black pepper, smoke. Young but tasty. B+ eventually

No wine Th with leftovers, Friday went to a friend’s where it was bach night

I carried canapes- nduja, lonza, and small Galician sardines, another guest brought the salad and some octopus salad.

NV Castellroig Cava
Crisp, floral with apple fruit, good qpr. B/B-

1998 Huet Le Mont Demi-sec Vouvray
A little cidery at first , develops fresher apple fruit along with grapefruit, wax and pollen, fun if not complex. I don’t think I’ve had a ‘98 still Huet before, just the petillant. B

He had made pasta with red sauce, meatballs, and sausage

2015 Lanciola Chianti Classico Riserva Le Masse di Greve
Good acidic balance, forward red fruits, a little hint of vanilla, some leather and dried cherry with air. B
With lamb, red cabbage, delicata squash, salad
1994 Lindeman’s St. George Cabernet Sauvignon
Plush black plum, mocha, a little cigarbox. Round and ripe, though 13.5 abv pretty restrained compared to some Aussies of this era. B/B+

Grey sole, braised leeks with parmesan, bok choy, and salad
2012 Dublere “Crotots” Meursault
This might be just shut down, but just not a lot here - moderate acids, mild white pit fruit, a little caramelly note than suggests incipient oxidation. I wouldn't bet on holding this till it comes out of its shell. Too bad I generally like producer. C+/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.