The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN '09 Iles de Vergelesses

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN '09 Iles de Vergelesses

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Wednesday was Halloween, and the last night before I forego wine for a week and a half (for waistline reasons). Gave out a couple thousand pieces of candy at office, then came home to make dinner while occasionally running to door for more trick’or’treaters. Tuna steak, collards, quinoa, and salad. Wine was 2009 Chandon de Briailles “Ile de Vergelesses” 1er. Unsurprisingly tight at first, opened through night. Ripe without showing heat (says 13.5 abv) or roasted notes. Quite a bit of tannin. Black cherry and raspberry, a little mocha, stony finish. Last glass has some smoke and mushroom. Nice wine, long finish, but probably better to let rest quite a while. B for drinking now, expect to improve.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN '09 Iles de Vergelesses

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 pm

I never know when to drink those wines. I don’t think I have ever seen a note that had the word “ready” as part of the text.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I never know when to drink those wines. I don’t think I have ever seen a note that had the word “ready” as part of the text.

The house style has been progressively getting more accessible in recent years, so that should change.

Also, I'm far from an exhaustive expert, but a few of the CdB '11s were definitely 'ready' this summer.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:53 pm

Rahsaan, thinking it would be nice if you thought about this months Focus..a wine that "you are thankful for". Would be interested in your thoughts.
My moment was my first 375 split of Monte Real!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Appreciate the note, I have a few of these. I'll leave 'em alone.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov