The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Latour Giraud Kistler Smith HL Ascheri St Jean Grahams

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Latour Giraud Kistler Smith HL Ascheri St Jean Grahams

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Blind tasting lunch notes:

Small group this time and interestingly, a 3/3 split on whites to reds.

With a gravlax salad:

2016 Lightfoot & Wolfville Chardonnay Ancienne – we had the pinot noir from this Nova Scotia producer last month and it was decent without being special. This was different. Pale with nice citrus notes in the nose, and some wet stone and green tea, and in the mouth, smooth and medium long. One of the best Canadian chards I’ve tasted. Wild fermented.

2004 Latour Giraud Meursault Charmes – light amber colour, very slight oxidative note in the nose which was primarily cantaloupe and lemon with vanilla hints. Good body, and clean terminal acidity. Very good, probably just on plateau and perfect for current drinking.

2016 Kistler Chardonnay Les Noisetiers – light colour with a definite greenish tint, some marine notes in the nose, but also apple and butter with yeast . Excellent acidity. Another very enjoyable wine.

With a grilled quail salad with mushrooms, foie gras and a seared scallop:

1996 Ch. Smith Haut Lafitte – first one of my 1996 clarets I’ve pulled a cork on. Pal edges, a classic claret nose of cedar and blackcurrant, good dark fruit on palate, and a very smooth long finish. Prime for drinking now and over the next few years.

2001 Ascheri Barolo Sorano – nice tar, pepper and berry nose, soft tannins and good fruit levels. This medium bodied wine is decent and should be drunk in the relatively near term. It is not as weighty as the 2000 was.

With beef tenderloin and venison:

2008 Chateau St. Jean Syrah Durell Vineyard – I still have a few bottles of the experimental reds Dick Arrowood was doing at St. Jean in the late 1980s, but I hadn’t paid any attention to the fact that they have begun doing reds again currently. Big dark wine with a sweet peppery nose, abundant sweet fruit on palate with mellow, smooth, lightly tannic finish. No mistaking this for anything but a Californian.

We finished with a half of the next wine:

1994 Grahams Port – still dark to the edges, spicy berry nose with cocoa hints, on palate, more chocolate and raspberry and a long lingering slightly hot finish. I was pleased to see that I have
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Latour Giraud Kistler Smith HL Ascheri St Jean Grah

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:12 pm

How much longer on the Grahams in your opinion?

Did you give it a long decant?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:17 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:How much longer on the Grahams in your opinion?

Did you give it a long decant?

A friend had decanted it at home, probably about 4 hours before it was served. I think it still has a good way to go and expect that a full bottle would have even longer, so no rush IMHO.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Interesting notes, was sorry to have to miss it. Love that three whites showed up. On that topic, you may not have caught Devin's initial comment last month about "knowing Bill doesn't do whites". He doesn't know the new Bill!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov