The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Santa Barbara Advice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Santa Barbara Advice

by John F » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:15 pm

My wife and I have been doing a cross country trip..... started in Boston and will be in Santa Barbara for a couple of days.... any advice on vineyards to visit in Los Olivos or Santa Ynez in general? We have our car so free to roam!

Thanks in advance for your help
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Santa Barbara Advice

by Jenise » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Will you make it as far as Lompoc? Probably no need to go quite that far north.

My memory of what's where is a little foggy, but Los Olivos is chock-full of good tasting rooms including ones that are not winery-specific but which serve a number of different producers--which are where is what I'm foggy about. Some names to look for: Tercero, Jeffurs, Qupe, Liquid Farm, Stolpman, Au Bon Climat, Alma Rose, La Jota, Beck, uh..... Lemme look.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Jeez. Not La Jota, Jonata. Same owner as Screaming Eagle. Setting the bar in the area north of Santa Barbara but south of Paso Robles (thank god) for impeccable high quality in syrah and syrah blends. I've tasted them, and it's deserved. They're expensive for the area, $50-150, but not stratospheric compared to the area like SE vs. the rest of Napa. Jonata may only be the name of one of the ones, not the producer. Each wine might be it's own proprietary name--I'll have to check as I own three, should know this.

Oh, and here's a hot tip: avoid Fess Parker. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 pm

You are simply the best Jenise... thanks you so much for looking into this. I will check out the Jonata. We just drove today from Seqouia National Park to Santa Barbara..... I took a northerly route through San Luis Obispo and down 154..... breath taking.... we have driven from Boston to the Pacific Ocean and will make our way back.... I have travelled so much for work in US and internationally.... but spent most of the time flying over places rather than actually seeing them in real life. At age 57 this trip has been an eye opening gift
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Okay, Jonata (means 'tall oaks') is the producer name. They produce the Todos (I'll add a TN in a moment), Alma (100% cab franc), Fenix and La S-something that reminds me of 'Sangria' but I can't recall the name right now. I own at least one of all of them which I bought after swooning over the '13 Todos.

I also realize that where I typed Beck above I meant Beckman. Honestly, there are a lot of great wineries in this area now. I would avoid anything from the hot-climate Paso Robles, but everything from SB itself to Santa Maria is desirable.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:15 pm

John F wrote: I will check out the Jonata. We just drove today from Seqouia National Park to Santa Barbara..... I took a northerly route through San Luis Obispo and down 154..... breath taking.... we have driven from Boston to the Pacific Ocean and will make our way back.... I have travelled so much for work in US and internationally.... but spent most of the time flying over places rather than actually seeing them in real life. At age 57 this trip has been an eye opening gift

Interesting comments, btw, about your road trip. You're getting 'grounded'! Much as we fly around too we love love love road trips.
I'm familiar with the route 154, we've taken it a few times and most recently last April. You've picked a beautiful spot to kill a few days, love Santa Barbara. In fact, that whole region of central California is magical. Have a great time, and report back.