The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Old Italians and a claret

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Old Italians and a claret

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Some old Italians with dinner

1975 Poggio alle Mura Brunello di Montalcino – when I first got into wine to the extent that I established a ‘cellar” (at the time, a cupboard in the basement) I bought this wine and then consumed it by the early 1980s, so it was like old times to see it show up from someone else’s cellar. The wine was showing its age, ambering and having lost fruit and all tannin, but it wasn’t unpleasant ad the acidity had kept is at least a bit interesting. About what I would have expected.

1971 Guido Porro Barolo – getting fairly pale at this age and with a very slight mustiness to the nose, this wine has some dark fruit and was fairly well balanced and elegant, finishing with medium length. Held up well in the glass.

1989 Pio Cesare Barolo Ornato – out of my cellar, and the first bottle from a half case that I have opened. Nice tarry earthy leathery nose, good colour with little fading at the rim, full bodied and sweet in the mouth, very good and at peak, I would think. I decanted this about 4 hours ahead.

1989 Ch. Beychevelle – served along side of the Pio Cesare. Good claret nose with elements of plum and tobacco, a smooth presence on palate with a medium long sweet finish. Perfect now and will hold awhile.

2009 Donnafugata Passito di Pantelleria Ben Ryé – medium brown bright colour, a very sweet nose that followed through on palate. Seemed to me to be almost cloyingly sweet despite close to searing acidity, although others liked this more than I did, Imagine orange apricot toffee in a glass…..
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Old Italians and a claret

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm a big Beychevelle fan but somehow had never tasted the '89 to memory until last winter- agree good wine that will hold

If you're going to have 2 Barolos, might as well be 71 and 89!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Old Italians and a claret

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm out of 89 Beychevelle now, sadly, and the 88 isn't nearly as good. Still have some 1975 which drinks pretty well.