The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN- back to wine- roses, white Burg, Nebbiolos, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN- back to wine- roses, white Burg, Nebbiolos, etc

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:39 pm

After 8 days of no wine, on Friday I opened the 2016 F. Cotat Chavignol Sancerre Rose with tandoori style chicken, quinoa pilaf, asparagus, and salad. Nice, better with a couple hours air (and better on day 2). Red fruits, flinty minerals, some herbs. Long finish. No hurry here. B++

Saturday to some friends to celebrate a birthday. Nancy’s sister, BIL, 2 nephews, and another couple were there as well. Started with crudite with a spicy yogurt sauce, smoked fish canapes

The toasting wine was the NV Bremont “Cuvee Prestige” Brut Champagne. Apple and pear., pie crust, well-balanced with fine bead. Good length. B+/A-

There was also the 2017 Roseline “Lampe de Meduse” Cotes de Provence Rose. Full for CdProvence, ripe strawberry, a little floral. Could use a little more acid (drunk from flute, so take with grain of salt). B

Main course was Bolognese and pasta, with salad

1964 Produttori de Barbaresco Barbaresco
Decanted early afternoon (unbelievable amount of sediment), back to bottle after couple hours.
Originally when decanted a rather volatile roasted nose, but calms down. Beautiful pale color, perfumed, dried cherry and red plum fruit, plenty of tar. Gets a leathery edge. Holds well through dinner. B+/A-

2006 Lamborghini Campoleone
Some people’s favorite- ripe berry fruit, still some tannin, vanilla, mocha. Big wine. B/B-

2001 Sella Lessona
This was showing great. Dried cherries, cherry, orange zest, tar. A pointe. I should have a bottle, will dig out. A-/B+

There was a Corsican wine from Petroni, seemed like some good materials, ruined by TCA

Friday Betsy had a concert in Brooklyn (Joan Tower’s 80th) , I had dinner ready when she returned. Scallops, sauteed spinach, sauteed cherry tomatoes with zucchini, purple cauliflower.
Wine was the 2004 Chandon de Briailles “Aux Vergelesses” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er blanc.
No premox here, just what I love in maturing white Burg. Good acids, just a touch of vanillin oak, rich pear fruit accented with hazelnut. Long, refreshing chalky finish. Fingers crossed other bottle shows as well A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN- back to wine- roses, white Burg, Nebbiolos, etc

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Was that from Chambers’ never-ending supply of older Produttori? I have had good and bad luck with those.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 am

Dale Williams wrote:After 8 days of no wine...

So did your palate have extra clarity after the long break?

Nice bottle of Briailles blanc, sounds fun. But of course I'm not going to be aging any of the few white Burgundies I do buy.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I had a great bottle of '64 from CSW, but this was a recent auction purchase (case, though I passed along a few to friends). I've generally had very good luck with the older CSW Piedmonts, but occasional duds- variation to be expected with old (cork sealed!) wines. They offer guarantee but I've never bothered to take them up on it.

Rahsaan, my palate was as unclear as ever. I'm mostly drinking my white Burg young as well, but that's why so great when I taste a good one with a little age.