The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Yes, sir. AH.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Yes, sir. AH.

by Jenise » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Friends got together last night to taste syrahs. Unfortunately I lost my notepad, so the following are about half the total wines present and just the ones I could easily remember.

2015 Domaine des Ouleb Thaleb Syrah Syrocco Zenata
Friendly black fruit with notes of bacon, Dr. Pepper and a red dirt kind of earthiness. The wines of this winery continue to impress!

2009 Cave de Tain l'Hermitage St. Joseph Esprit de Granit Syrah
Tasty, correct flavors of St. Joe with a juicy exuberance of the vintage but not much left in the way of tannins. Drink up sooner than later.

2014 Eric Texier Côtes du Rhône-Brézème Syrah
Bright, fresh and user-friendly, though a bit less welming than other vintages I've had.

2002 Mount Langi Ghiran Shiraz Mast Rare Reserve Block Victoria
Here's the anti-Mollydooker, a graceful and structured syrah that can pass for a Northern Rhone. Presents a bit younger than it actually is, which bodes well for further cellaring. Will easily make it 2025 and beyond.

2003 Penfolds Shiraz St. Henri South Australia
Big ripe fruit manages to dodge the sappiness that plagues so many Aussies. Boysenberries, sweet roasted tomatoes and a hint of sage put on a great show amid the mostly French syrahs. Quite a feat.

2006 Elegie Côte-Rôtie Syrah
A surprisingly good bottle. Primary fruit's gone but the spicey, leathery flavors of mature syrah are seductive. Everybody loves it.

2004 M. Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne Syrah
Taupe-y red with decent flavors but it's quite tertiary; there's no future ahead for this wine.

2011 Hedges Family Estate Cuvée Marcel Dupont Red Mountain Syrah
Black color, vivid flavors of roast ham, black olives and green herb, silky texture. Generous on the palate; perfect for current drinking.

2012 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah In the Rocks Walla Walla Valley
Decanted one hour. Very good fruit with green olives and Rocks funk. Some tannins were evident, suggesting that this vintage might well have a longer cellar life than previously thought. Definitely stood out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Yes, sir. AH.

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 pm

The St. Henri is my favorite Penfolds wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up