The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ya gotta have boobs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Ya gotta have boobs

by Jenise » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Was just on the phone with friends discussing last night's wine tasting at which we served six merlots in a comparative, sit-down tasting. And I was 'splaining how it's just a beauty pageant, that wines you'd appreciate if you had them alone just don't show as well as the bigger sweeter wines, 'big' and 'sweet' being the boobs and butts of the pageant world. And the best boobs win.

2013 Forgeron Cellars Merlot Columbia Valley
Picked up locally for $21 last week. Lighter bodied due to age, presumably, and the dill character of the 25% new American oak shows because there isn't enough fruit to integrate it. Drink latest? Last year.

2014 L'Ecole No. 41 Merlot Estate Walla Walla Valley
Surprisingly reticent among six WA merlots and ended up in 4th place. On it's own, would have shown better. Plummy fruit, good spice, mushrooms and a touch of leather with good acidity.

2016 Guardian Cellars Confidential Source Red Mountain Merlot
Co-winner for best boobs. Really nails modern WA merlot: blackberry fruit, cocoa, dense, a little sweet, a real showboat. Tied for 1st place among 70 tasters but it had the most 1st place votes.

2015 Sheridan Vineyard Mystique Yakima Valley Red Blend
Other co-winner for best boobs. Not usually a fan of Sheridan's ripe style, but this wine is very appealing. Nicely concentrated blackberry fruit with a goodly amount of merlot cocoa. Dusty tannins and a hint of mint from cabernet sauv in the blend are a plus.

2015 Savage Grace Wines Merlot Celilo Vineyard Columbia Gorge
And sometimes the girl with only B cups is so immensely accomplished she's a runner-up anyway. Here's that wine. Beautifully balanced, non-interventionist style captures merlot's natural vibrance. Plums, black currants and cocoa, medium-bodied. My first place wine and only a few points behind the co-first place wines for everyone else.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Ya gotta have boobs

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:05 pm

OK Covert. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Ya gotta have boobs

by Jenise » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Mere coincidence. 8)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov