The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rieslings, almost Etna, Langhe, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rieslings, almost Etna, Langhe, etc

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 am

Thursday was the worst weather related traffic I’ve ever seen. Only 6 inches snow total, but results worse than a blizzard.In Dobbs Ferry the snow started coming down right before school let out, and lots of parents decided to try and pick up. A few unsalted hills, some poor snow drivers, and by 4 village was at a standstill. After watching traffic go about 150 ft in a 25 minute period as I was getting ready to leave I just walked home (it's only a 1.25 miles). I was ready for wine and dinner - roast salmon, brown rice, and broccolini. Wine was the 2014 Cavallotto Nebbiolo (Langhe). Bright, light tannins, juicy red fruit, but with some rose petal and tar notes to give it some Piedmont character. B+/B

Went to some friends’ for Friday dinner, greeted with canapes of boquerones with capers, and NV Evohe Brut Nature. This is the sweetest Brut nature of all time, apple juice and a honied note, but nice bead/mousse. B-/C+

Dinner was pork/soba/bean stirfry

2016 Battenfeld Spanier “Moelshiem” Riesling Trocken

Quite full, just a hint of sugar, peach and pear. Long and minerally. B++

2009 Olga Raffault Picasses Chinon
Riper and less rustic than I expected, sweet black cherry fruit accented with pepper and smoke. There’s some tannin, so sure it can age, but unlike older Olgas I don’t think it NEEDS to age. B/B+

Saturday to Betsy’s sister’s home for dinner with her family and guests. Cal had done an Ottolenghi themed dinner- hummus, date and pita salad, chicken with onions and cardamom rice.

2014 Thivin Cote de Brouilly
I liked this a lot on release, but this bottle was tight and not very giving, herbs overtaking the cranberry fruit, tasted more like slightly unripe CF. B-

2007 Graacher Domprobst Spatlese #12

Peaches, pear, and wax. Just a bit of petrol, long minerally finish. This isn’t the zippiest Schaefer Domprobst (it’s a 2007) but it has enough acidity to keep it in character. Sweet but not trying to be Auslese. Drinking well. B+

Sunday was tuna in a tomato sauce with capers and olives, wine was the 2012 Passopisciaro (Terre Siciliane IGT). Black cherries and raspberries, fresh acids, quite ripe. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.